Thread poster: Sabrina Ciserchia
Sabrina Ciserchia
Sabrina Ciserchia  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

Hi all! I am in Argentina and I have received a small cheque from an English bank, in Euros. In the bank here they told me I need to pay USD 70 to receive my cash (not worth it as the cheque is for a small amount) because as it is a cheque from an English bank it should have been issued in pounds. Has any of you had a similar problem? I am afraid the agency would refuse to send me a new cheque in pounds...
Thanks to any who
... See more
Hi all! I am in Argentina and I have received a small cheque from an English bank, in Euros. In the bank here they told me I need to pay USD 70 to receive my cash (not worth it as the cheque is for a small amount) because as it is a cheque from an English bank it should have been issued in pounds. Has any of you had a similar problem? I am afraid the agency would refuse to send me a new cheque in pounds...
Thanks to any who could help
Sabrina
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:11
English to German
+ ...
What was agreed? Jul 13, 2004

Hi Sabrina,
Hi all! I am in Argentina and I have received a small cheque from an English bank, in Euros. In the bank here they told me I need to pay USD 70 to receive my cash (not worth it as the cheque is for a small amount) because as it is a cheque from an English bank it should have been issued in pounds.

The 70 dollars don't surprise me - the "because" does... British banks also maintain euro accounts, and it's therefore perfectly acceptable (in general) to issue a euro cheque drawn on a bank in the UK.

Has any of you had a similar problem? I am afraid the agency would refuse to send me a new cheque in pounds...

Would that save fees? I fear just about any cheque drawn on a British bank might hit you with the same sort of charges.

What was agreed in the PO?

Best regards, Ralf

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Your basic problem Jul 13, 2004

was not having anticipated clearing costs.

Some job offers are better referred for this reason, unless one implements a reasonable minimum rate.

For this case, how would the outsourcer feel about using a remittance service (and you sending back the cheque?)

[Edited at 2004-07-13 12:30]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
Same happened to me in Uruguay... Jul 13, 2004

where a very well-known bank would only exchange a cheque issued by their British headquarters (in euros) if I paid a similar enormous fee. However, the fee would have been waived if I were a client (minimum deposit account average = USD 100,000).

I thanked them for their rather (un)polite suggestion, walked two blocks and exchanged the cheque in a Currency Exchange house (Casa Cambiaria) for a mere 2% expense.

My advice: contact other banks, Western Union, or similar f
... See more
where a very well-known bank would only exchange a cheque issued by their British headquarters (in euros) if I paid a similar enormous fee. However, the fee would have been waived if I were a client (minimum deposit account average = USD 100,000).

I thanked them for their rather (un)polite suggestion, walked two blocks and exchanged the cheque in a Currency Exchange house (Casa Cambiaria) for a mere 2% expense.

My advice: contact other banks, Western Union, or similar facilities before contacting the agency.
Collapse

Lorena Becker
Lorena Becker
English to Spanish
+ ...
Otra alternativa Jul 13, 2004

Hola Sabrina, te cuento que yo también soy de Argentina y he recibido cheques del extranjero (en dólares). Lo que hice con ellos no fue depositarlos en una cuenta bancaria (ya que en mi banco no me lo aceptaron) sino comercializarlos en Banco Piano (4632-2660) y solo me descontaron el 2%. Espero que te sirva como una posible opción para poder cobrar el cheque.
Suerte!
Lorena

Sabrina Ciserchia
Sabrina Ciserchia  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you! Jul 14, 2004

Thanks for all your comments. The agency is finally going to send the cheque again, but this time in pounds. Apparently the bank is now only going to charge 2% of the amount.

Thanks again for your cooperation!!

Sabrina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheque from English bank paid in Argentina

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »