Price for a whole book
Thread poster: Elke Fehling

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:05
English to German
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

A friend of mine, who works for the press office of an Arabic country just asked me if I would be interested in translating a whole book (approx. 90,000 words).

I have never translated such a big volume before. Do you have any idea about the usual prices for this kind of job? The cannot be the same as for "normal" translations?!

Also, I am not sure about the time frame. I don't want to loose my usual clients, so I need to find a way to translate this book and at the same time still have enough time to do at least the smaller jobs for my regular customers.

What would you do?

Elke

[Edited at 2004-07-13 17:28]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try the same price Jul 13, 2004

In literature the text has no regularities and 'matches' as to allow any reduction, so the normal price would be appropriate. 90,000 characters is not so much, two weeks work. But if its a million you should ask for sufficient time. If its a rush job the price should be higher. And make sure to get paid, at least every month a part of the whole.
Good luck!

Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't set a too tight deadline Jul 13, 2004

Especially if you intend to fit in other smaller projects. Remember you will not be able to work at top speed for several weeks...

Good luck

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oopsss... Jul 13, 2004

Elke Fehling wrote:

A friend of mine, who works for the press office of an Arabic country just asked me if I would be interested in translating a whole book (approx. 90,000 characters).

My mistake: 90,000 words, not characters.
Elke

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
why not? Jul 13, 2004

Hi Elke,

Why shouldn't you ask the same price? Would you offer a discount just because you will have 90k words to translate? Mind that it should be 45 days for translation (at 2k per day) and 9 days for proofreading and editing (at 10k per day).

Don't get a too tight deadline since you might need to work on smaller projects (if you have regular clients) and also because you need a clear mind to ensure consistency and a clear-of-faults text.

I work on large projects and only occasionally have offered a discount of 5% (i.e. regular client with no deadline set).

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Mónica Machado
English into European Portuguese Translator

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Mónica... Jul 13, 2004

...the 90,000th word is going to take just as much attention as the first, if not more (if you take into consideration the energy drain), why would you want to charge less?

I would encourage you to figure out a flat fee for this project, based on a reasonable rate per word, and set up a realistic deadline that works for you.

Best luck,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

Annira Silver  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
Finnish to English
+ ...
Time is as important as money Jul 17, 2004

mmachado wrote:

Why shouldn't you ask the same price? Would you offer a discount just because you will have 90k words to translate? Mind that it should be 45 days for translation (at 2k per day) and 9 days for proofreading and editing (at 10k per day).

Don't get a too tight deadline since you might need to work on smaller projects (if you have regular clients) and also because you need a clear mind to ensure consistency and a clear-of-faults text.

Hi, Elke,

I'm just finishing a 90k-word semi-academic book translation - I would try to get as much time as you can. I've spent 3 months on mine - I've taken other work from regular clients in between, as like you, I didn't want to lose them. I find that I need to go over the raw translation twice to get a really good result; once proofreading and checking against the original, and again to polish the style. Ideally, you need to leave the work to 'rest' in between, so you come back to it fresh. I'm amazed at the number of corrections I've made in this final polish, and I consider myself to be a careful worker... I think you get kind of word-blind when the job is very long.

I'm saying nothing about the pay; as I'm translating into English, I consider myself lucky to get published and paid at all, however badly.

Good luck with your project!

Annira

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for a whole book

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search