delayed due payment
Thread poster: Ricardo Fonseca

Ricardo Fonseca  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

I was invicted by a translation company to participate in a six month translation project of a few books, along with me there were other translators.

I delivered my work (50.000 words) within a month time (the first month), as agreed with the company.

They called me and said there were problems with the translation, and that the customer wasn't satisfied with it, eventhough they haven't blamed anyone specifically.

It has been 15 days since I sent the translation, and since the payment was due. I haven't still received a penny. I called the company today and their secretary told me they were analising of whom the fault was, and wouldn't be doing any payments until they found it out, and the client would pay them! Probbably, not until next week.

I have my conscience clean and I believe to have done a acceptable job.

Do they have the right to be proceeding this way?

What can I do to receive resolve the problem in case they don't pay at all?

The translation company which contacted me is from Lisbon, Portugal.

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:55
English to German
+ ...
Ask them to substantiate their criticism Jul 13, 2004

Hi Ricardo,
Ask them to substantiate their criticism of your work (if any). If they cannot do that, they should pay you. What were the payment terms agreed in the PO?

Regards, Ralf

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proofreading by translation company Jul 14, 2004

I thought that translation company did proofreading on the translations develired by freelancers, even more so if in the project were involved several translators. If this is the case and they did not proofread the complete work to give it an homogene tone and polish the different texts then it is the company's fault and not yours. I think....

Ricardo Fonseca  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
time gain Jul 14, 2004

Dear Ralph and Jesus,

There wasn't any PO, just a spoken agreement by phone and by mail.
I agree with Jesus, and I was already suspictious that the proof reading was poor, thus compromising the quality of the translation, eventhough, I had only 50000 words to do in a month, working part-time, I must say, I spent many hours trying to get the work done right, and there were a few translators working full-time, 100.000 words per month, which might have led to some kind of failure.
They told me that within a week they will sort from whom came the error, if from them, or any of the translators. But that what they have said! They might wnat to win some time, after all they have already failed to comply with the due payment!

I shall wait and see! I'm already considering other ways of getting my work paid, I mean, through a letter written from a lawyer, and presenting the case to a court if needed (the Portuguese law system comprehends a three month holiday vacations period!).

Thank you Jesus and Ralph for your help!

regards,

Ricardo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

delayed due payment

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search