Thread poster: Ltemes

Ltemes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

Hi,
I need to transcribe a documentary in Spanish and then translate the text I have transcribed into English. I've checked out previous postings on this issue but a lot of them refer to AUDIO files and this is a video (DVD) file. I'm thinking of charging per hour for the transcription and then per word for the translation. Any suggestions as to average rates (US Market, in $$) for the transcription? I'm thinking of charging my regular rates for the translation portion of that. TIA to all!icon_smile.gif

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charge by the minute Jul 13, 2004

Hi:
Here in Chile we charge by the minute for transcription and translation. Rates are about US$ 15 per minute of film. US$ 25 if they need voice over.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-Minute Video Jul 13, 2004

Thanks so much Ricardo! I wish I could write in Spanish, it feels weird in English with un \\\"colega\\\", but I think Forum rules do not permit me to switch language. Anyhow, that\\\'s a lot more than what I was thinking, but I guess you combine BOTH the transcribing & translating into 1 single rate, correct? I\\\'m not sure the agency might agree to that .... but it\\\'s VERY useful for me to know these things. I\\\'ve never done transcription for a video before (audio, yes) so that\\\'s why I\\\'m asking. I\\\'ve seen that people charged anywhere between $3-5 per minute for audio transcriptions. At least, that\\\'s what I figured from reading previous answers to similar questions posted here in Proz forums.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.icon_biggrin.gif

Sormane Fitzgerald Gomes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:04
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My way. Jul 13, 2004

This is how I do it.

Transcription - $3-5 per minute.
Translation - my regular rates.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards,

Sormane P. Gomes
Portuguese English
www.sormanegomes.com

[Edited at 2004-07-13 23:39]

[Edited at 2004-07-13 23:43]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:04
Another option Jul 14, 2004

Sormane wrote:

This is how I do it.

Transcription - $3-5 per minute.
Translation - my regular rates.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards,

Sormane P. Gomes
Portuguese English
www.sormanegomes.com

I would charge my regular rates per word for the translation, and my regular hourly rates for the transcription.
¡Saludos y suerte, Laura!

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
slightly off-topic concern... Jul 14, 2004

Holaicon_smile.gif

I know this is not part of the question, but have you considered what kind of equipment you may need? I am not sure whether this applies to VCRs, but certainly tape recorders may get ruined by constant stopping and rewinding of a 40 minute tape (needless to say, it will take you much more than 40 minutes to transcribe it). There are audio transcribers in the market, built especially for that purpose. I know nothing about video transcribers.

Hope this does not discourage you, but I would do some research. And I apologize in advance if I am mistaken about this, perhaps other colleagues may want to either confirm or contradict me.

Best luck,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2004-07-14 00:46]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-minute Video Jul 14, 2004

Hola Susana,

Thanks for your query. I've definitely got the necessary equipment, the material will be on a DVD disc. It's not a subtitling project, nor voice over nor dubbing. It's just a transcription (which the client doesn't even need) and then a regular translation, which is what the client needs. With regards to audio, I've done transcriptions before and yes, you need to have several back-up tapes (copies), at least I always had them.

GRACIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS :lol)

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-minute Video Jul 14, 2004

Sormane,

THANKS so much. This info is very useful!!icon_biggrin.gif

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
excellent :) Jul 14, 2004

Ltemes wrote:
Thanks for your query. I've definitely got the necessary equipment, the material will be on a DVD disc.

Back to minding my businessicon_biggrin.gif

All best,

S.G.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription and Translation Rates for 40-minute Video

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search