posted rates - for target language or source? (De->En)
Thread poster: Kevin Pfeiffer

Kevin Pfeiffer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:31
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2004

Hi,

I'm surprised how low posted rates are here for De -> En. One thing I noticed is that someone had posted rates based on the target language (which in the case of this lang. pair helps a bit).

Is there a standard or convention used here (target lang vs. source lang)?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No fixed convention for rates shown Jul 14, 2004

Hi Kevin,
Is there a standard or convention used here (target lang vs. source lang)?

No, there isn't - if you're referring to rates quoted in profiles, these are supposed to be average, non-binding indications anyway.

HTH, Ralf

Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but... Jul 14, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:
No, there isn't - if you're referring to rates quoted in profiles, these are supposed to be average, non-binding indications anyway.

So, if someone contacts me, I can say, "but these rates are for the target (English) language"? (Thinking of the recent example here: Steinkohlenkraftwerk (1 word) vs. "coal-fired power plant".)

[Edited at 2004-07-14 13:42]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Non-binding Jul 14, 2004

Hi again,
If someone contacts you, quote your price for the job at hand, also quoting the convention. Once again, these rates are indicative; besides, you're quoting a range.

Best regards, Ralf

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
To complicate matters Jul 14, 2004

Your German customers might prefer "Normzeile" (search with Google) and your English customers a rate per word. Some customers perform a word count with Microsoft Word, others count with Trados or another (CAT) tool. Counting source characters or words has one obvious advantage when quoting: your customers will know the exact amount of your bill before you start the translation.

Regards,
Gerard

Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Jul 14, 2004

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Your German customers might prefer "Normzeile"

_I_ prefer them, too.icon_smile.gif But that option (or better, some kind of magical conversion) is not available here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

posted rates - for target language or source? (De->En)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search