Thread poster: Ravindra Godbole

Ravindra Godbole  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:04
Member (2002)
English to Marathi
+ ...
Jul 14, 2012

How much should I charge per hour for converting a word file of 326 pages according to the original pdf file supplied by the client. The work was for 9 hours which involved cutting, pasting , margin setting. In number of pages the size of the original page differed from the standard A 4 page. I am basically a translator and not a DTP person hence after sitting for 9 hours with the DTP expert it took so much time to complete the work.
So what will be the reasonable minimum charges per hour I should charge?
Can anybody will please help me?

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
English to German
+ ...
Here is the standard that I apply for this kind of work Jul 14, 2012

Call one or more copy shops or similar vendors for DTP-services in your / your customer's city and get an estimate - then charge the same. The reason is simple: That's where the customer has to go in case you are not available. Do not charge less. The job will take you much longer anyway if you are not a DTP-person.

United States
English to German
+ ...
Do I understand correctly? Jul 14, 2012

Ravindra Godbole wrote:

How much should I charge per hour for converting a word file of 326 pages according to the original pdf file supplied by the client. The work was for 9 hours which involved cutting, pasting , margin setting.

You finished this enormous task already without setting up any price in advance?

Be firm and good luck!

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 03:34
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Was it single task or a part of translation project? Jul 14, 2012

If the text you had to convert was the text you had to translate, then, considering a volume, I wouldn't charge anything and include price of supporting works into basic rate.

Ravindra Godbole wrote:

How much should I charge per hour for converting a word file of 326 pages according to the original pdf file supplied by the client. The work was for 9 hours which involved cutting, pasting , margin setting. In number of pages the size of the original page differed from the standard A 4 page. I am basically a translator and not a DTP person hence after sitting for 9 hours with the DTP expert it took so much time to complete the work.
So what will be the reasonable minimum charges per hour I should charge?
Can anybody will please help me?

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:34
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good luck from me too! Jul 14, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Ravindra Godbole wrote:

How much should I charge per hour for converting a word file of 326 pages according to the original pdf file supplied by the client. The work was for 9 hours which involved cutting, pasting , margin setting.

You finished this enormous task already without setting up any price in advance?

Be firm and good luck!

Was this not discussed with the client beforehand, or at least when the problem arose? Did you give the client a firm quote for the job? I can see why you expect to be paid extra for your time, but I can also see that the client may take any additional cost very badly.

One last question: did you actually need to do this work? I am an absolute dunce at DTP and make no secret of it. So I've told clients in the past that I couldn't reproduce the formatting so would have to refuse the job. Several times, they have come back (agencies as well as direct clients) and said that it didn't matter. They had come to a translator for a translation. Either they would do the formatting in-house, or it wasn't important, anyway. If that is the case here, they certainly won't be happy about paying extra for it.

Anyway, good luck for this time but obviously it will pay to think about the problem earlier in future.icon_smile.gif

Sheila

United States
English to German
+ ...
Why? Jul 14, 2012

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

If the text you had to convert was the text you had to translate, then, considering a volume, I wouldn't charge anything and include price of supporting works into basic rate.

Ravindra Godbole wrote:

converting a word file of 326 pages
number of pages the size of the original page differed from the standard A 4 page.
[/quote]

Texts this size rarely come without a table of contents, references to other pages and what-not. Even if the translator managed to roughly maintain the text length, the contents of a full A4-page will never fit on a legal size page and you are dealing with an entirely different page layout and pagination.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DTP charges

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search