Thread poster: David Abraham

David Abraham
Romania
Local time: 00:16
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2012

Hi everyone,
I would like to know, is there anyone among my "colleagues" who has chosen to be paid through Liberty Reserve?
And, also, does anybody know of any player in the field making payment through this alternative payment method?
Thank You
David

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
First thoughts Jul 23, 2012

Hello David,

I've just spent about 20 seconds on their website http://www.libertyreserve.com/ and the questions that immediately spring to mind are:
- where's the audit trail if there are problems?
- what on earth is the tax man going to make of it?

It may be perfectly legitimate, but I have no inside knowledge of finance, particularly not international finance, so I have to make sure my business is run on totally transparent lines. It sounds to me as though they expect their clients to need perfect privacy, and that makes me wonder why. On the other hand, I know that tax havens etc are not necessarily anything of the kind: my husband's pension gets paid from Bermuda, into our Jersey bank account, then transferred to the Canary Islands - all 3 are supposedly tax havens, yet all our transactions are totally transparent and declared and we don't seem to derive any special benefit from any of them (except the weather in the Canaries!).

Anyway, as I said, I get lost in the world of finance, and not just because my accountant speaks Spanglish, so you'll need to wait for more informed comments.

Sheila

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 22:16
English to French
+ ...
Fishy Jul 23, 2012

It looks awfully fishy and amateurish ! However, it made me discover Netteler !

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looks a bit fishy Jul 23, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:
- what on earth is the tax man going to make of it?

Exactly my thoughts.

I have to doubt my customers would accept to pay me to a tax haven... and I am not sure I would want them to: every person who earns something must make a contribution to sustain the society they live in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing Liberty Reserve as an alternative payment method

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search