Local time: 02:56
French to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2012

poste: INTERPRETE /TRADUCTEUR H/F

Votre profil :

Parfaitement bilingue anglais / français
Connaissance du vocabulaire aéronautique

Le poste: Mission intérim de 6 mois à pourvoir au plus tôt.

Salaire 10.5 EUR de l'heures

Type de recruteur : Agence d'intérim

=========================================

This is appalling. It's about €1270 net per month.

The other thing I wanted to know is how much do you estimate the client is paying the temp agency per each hour this person works? Does the agency get paid only one flat fee for finding a suitable translator, or do they also get paid a commission on the total salary that company will pay the temp translator employee?

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who cares? Jul 28, 2012

The good thing is that you are under no obligation to work for them. Let 'em rot.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:56
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
But think of all the perks Jul 28, 2012

It's a salaried job, so it'll be net of al S.S. charges, then there'll be paid leave, sick leave when you've had too much of a good weekend, probably a canteen for lunch or luncheon vouchers, maybe private health insurance... and 6 months of employer's contributions towards a nice fat pension to look forward to.

Probably worth about the normal rate-per-hour for a freelancer when you think what our income has to pay for.icon_smile.gif

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
High horse Jul 29, 2012

What did you expect? It's France. If, as Sheila says, you get all these perks, it doesn't sound too bad - ask any Spanish "mileurista" (people earning 1000 euros monthly).

And I also agree with Henry - you're under no obligation to work for them.

[Edited at 2012-07-29 09:54 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Plus Jul 29, 2012

These would be 6 months without spending a single minute looking for work (if you are now) or writing any invoices. At least none as an intern.

Instead you (might) get all these benefits Sheila mentions at no cost, that is, you don't pay the full S. S., and get a chance to spend a paid vacation which freelancers actually never get unless they pay for it themselves.

Considering the fact that many educated people - at least in Germany - work 40 hours/week and still make less than EUR 1,000.00 gross, this doesn't sound too bad.icon_smile.gif

veratek
Brazil
Local time: 02:56
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
High horse Jul 29, 2012

"What did you expect? It's France. "

So it is and professionals earning respectful salaries earn more than €1000 in France.

"If, as Sheila says, you get all these perks, it doesn't sound too bad - ask any Spanish "mileurista" (people earning 1000 euros monthly)."

France isn't Spain. I think this salary sounds bad.

"And I also agree with Henry - you're under no obligation to work for them."

I never said I or anyone else was.

wonita (X)
China
Local time: 01:56
Why work at all? Jul 29, 2012

Thayenga wrote:

These would be 6 months without spending a single minute looking for work (if you are now) or writing any invoices. At least none as an intern.

Instead you (might) get all these benefits Sheila mentions at no cost, that is, you don't pay the full S. S., and get a chance to spend a paid vacation which freelancers actually never get unless they pay for it themselves.

Considering the fact that many educated people - at least in Germany - work 40 hours/week and still make less than EUR 1,000.00 gross, this doesn't sound too bad.icon_smile.gif

Even a pauper gets ca. 750 Euro including housing subsidy in Germany. Why should any well-educated intellectual in Germany work at all for that money? Except, that whilst receiving social benefits, he works to get some extra cash.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's less than the cash assistance rate for many people in Denmark Jul 29, 2012

Here in affluent Scandinavia... It is less than the rate for cash assistance for those aged over 25 and those under 25 supporting children. (That is the social support for those who have fallen out of the unemployment benefit ssytem.) But if you have any other income or a spouse who has income, this will be deducted, so you might get less or no benefit at all.

The job provides earned income, which makes a big difference...
The six months' employment would help towards qualifying for unemployment benefit and make it easier to find another job (better paid) afterwards, plus the other benefits Sheila mentioned.

However, when a politician started a discussion about 'the poor' based on the cash benefit figures, it turned out that many working families had less to live on.

It is less than half of the gross monthly minimum I have to earn to make ends meet as a freelancer, but after tax, pension and expenses etc. the difference is smaller. In practice I earn more than the minimum too, unless I take holidays...

I would probably go for it if I could not keep on freelancing for any reason, and I certainly did apply for jobs like that before I managed to get into translating. Still, I would certainly hope to move further up the scale at the end of those six months.

[Edited at 2012-07-29 13:42 GMT]

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
Here's an even better one. Jul 29, 2012

Notre client situé à Sequedin recherche un traducteur allemand H/F :
intérim 3 mois à compter de fin Aout avec possibilité de renouvellement temps plein 39h

Vos principales missions sont :

- Correction et relecture du catalague B to B.
- Traduction catalogue Allemand/Français

Vous possèdez une expérience dans la traduction, vous êtes dynamique et rigoureux(se). Vous maîtrisez impérativement la langue Allemande. et vous avez un bon niveau en orthographe.

Rémunération : 1 665 EUR + tickets restaurants.

-----

If you figure 39 h/week x 4 weeks x 3 months = 468 h. That comes to a princely rate of 1 665 EUR/468 h = 3.56 EUR/h. Of course you get "tickets restaurants" and a generous chance to go perm to sweeten the deal.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A step back? Jul 29, 2012

Thayenga wrote:

But also, six months in which you do not establish yourself in the profession. Personally I think that, even with the obvious benefits of being an employee, this would be a step back in the career of any new translator with good potential.

Just my opinion of course! The market is no easy playing ground for newbies, but I think this profession is well worth a good fight!

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let them learn Jul 29, 2012

If they are making a ridiculous offer why not just let them learn that they will never find a decent employee that way?

As I understand it, employers in France are restricted to the point that they are not offering as much work as before. Consequently, the insultingly low offer may be due to offeror trying to comply with all the regulations they are faced with in France.

If this is the case, it would be the French Government that deserves the brunt of your ire.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
"Respectful" Jul 29, 2012

I can't help but chuckle when I read about "respectful" salaries and rates. How much money you pay someone is not a measure of respect. (It may have been hundreds of years ago, in feudal times.) If I get offers from two competent lawyers, I won't be disrespecting the cheaper one for agreeing to work for me.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Impossible Jul 29, 2012

Richard Bartholomew wrote:
(...)
If you figure 39 h/week x 4 weeks x 3 months = 468 h. That comes to a princely rate of 1 665 EUR/468 h = 3.56 EUR/h. Of course you get "tickets restaurants" and a generous chance to go perm to sweeten the deal.

Impossible, there is a minimum hourly wage in France and it cannot be compensated by 'tickets restaurant'.

http://www.smic-horaire.net/

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Confusion Jul 29, 2012

AFAIK, salaries in France are almost always quoted as net monthly figures. Annual figures are quite rare, although hourly rates are quoted sometimes, as in the original post. I think you'll find this is a monthly figure.

Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
Faulty reckoning Jul 30, 2012

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

(...)

Impossible, there is a minimum hourly wage in France and it cannot be compensated by 'tickets restaurant'.

http://www.smic-horaire.net/

You forgot to multiply the monthly wage by three as well.

These salaries would go a lot further in Spain than in France.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

little more than minimum salary for specialized translator position in France

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search