Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Maybe they are right and translation rates are going down.
Thread poster: Susana González Tuya

Susana González Tuya
Spain
Local time: 15:14
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 3, 2012

Yesterday I received the lowest offer ever for English to Spanish translation:

5000 to 8000 characters for 5 EUR.

I had to read the email 4 times and then triple check the average number of words for 5000 characters.

On the bright side (hmm) I do not need to use any CAT tools, I only need "Excel and a quick mind" and the translations will be published on their website so they will have great visibility (because I love to waste my time and have my name associated to low quality products).

And before you ask; no, it is not an agency is a direct client in the tourism industry and based in Europe who wants to translate their products and services to sell them online.

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
In this case Aug 3, 2012

I wouldn't even bother replying. Straight to the trash bin!

iqcservices  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Too ... Aug 3, 2012

Too ridiculous for words, indeed. About 100 times (or more) less than I would ask for such a job.

Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paula, I couldn't resist... Aug 3, 2012

...and I replied.
But mainly because they had been messing around for about two weeks and I felt I was entitled to a blunt reply after wasting my time with their emails and questions.

Natalia Pedrosa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have received the same job offer Aug 3, 2012

And at first thought it was a joke.

I told the guy so and he says it is like that.

Well, I have replied back saying they are shameless.

I know this message looks like MORSE, but I am still half asleep.

Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks tseliot Aug 3, 2012

At least someone gave them the same reply.

What was bothering me was that probably many people without experience will accept their offer and I will be the "bad guy" who tried to over charge them.

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe, but Aug 3, 2012

Susana González Tuya wrote:

At least someone gave them the same reply.

What was bothering me was that probably many people without experience will accept their offer and I will be the "bad guy" who tried to over charge them.

As you say, someone inexperienced will accept the job, but after realizing what they earned per hour, they won't accept another job of this kind (hopefully) and then the client will have to start again. At some point they are bound to notice that they spend longer looking for a translator than the work is worth...

Omar Lobao  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
GT... Aug 3, 2012

is free:).
Maybe they jus wanted this. 5€ to copy/paste to GT and then return the translation.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
English to Tamil
+ ...
Use Google translate and be done with that Aug 3, 2012

The client deserves no better.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
5 euros = 6 minutes of work Aug 3, 2012

I don't even know: if I press the same key for 6 minutes, can the computer write 8000 characters?

Philippe

Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's a good one. Aug 3, 2012

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I don't even know: if I press the same key for 6 minutes, can the computer write 8000 characters?

Philippe

As for using GT, that is what is probably end up happening. So, good luck to them!

Personally I will never deliver a "translation" like that; I'd rather charge them for the time it takes to write an email explaining how they should approach the work.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A macro? Aug 3, 2012

Philippe Etienne wrote:
Philippe

I think that a macro could be quickly written in Autohotkey to make not only 8,000 characters, but 80,000 in under 2-3 minutes.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
grains of wheat Aug 3, 2012

Well, type the letter a, copy it, paste it, copy the two a-s you get, paste again, copy the four a-s...
you should get a pretty large pile of wheat - or rather, garbage in this case - after a couple of dozen iterations.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:14
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Just Maybe... Aug 3, 2012

Maybe it is time to pause making translations, and pick up another job for a while. I do not mean permanently, just temporarily. That way, there will be fewer number of translators available on the market. On the longer term, that will hopefully drive the rates up (basic supply demand rule). Then, you may decide to get back to translating again. Too optimistic? icon_smile.gif

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:14
English to Russian
+ ...
16 times Aug 4, 2012

iqcservices wrote:

Too ridiculous for words, indeed. About 100 times (or more) less than I would ask for such a job.

16 times less here.

NK_TC_Logo_30x31.png

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maybe they are right and translation rates are going down.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search