Translations in 15 minutes for $2.00 or less
Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2012

This is from a real website, but what a joke!!! "Translators" all over the world will race each other to translate your documents first in order to earn points. I wish these internet entrepreneurs would get a real job. It seems like every week there is a new "make money as a translator" portal scam.

"Where normal translation agency and online translation takes more than 3 hours to get your results back, we can provide you with your results in 15 minutes the fastest.

There are thousands of translators from all over the world ready to process your request.
You can make a request from just $2.
We assure you that we offer you with the cheapest translation service.
Have you ever had a problem communicating in different languages such as in case of oversea busines email and oversea net-shopping?
It's not just books and publishing where translation comes in.
You could use us in any use in such situations.

How can I become a translator?
All you need to do is sign in with your Facebook account and register your languages on xxx.
How can I earn points?
The first two people to translate each text will be awarded points within six hours.
How much are the points worth?How can I evaluate translations?
The value starts at 50 and goes up or down depending on the evaluations it receives. A higher value means a better translation.What is the Blacklist?
If you are not happy with the results from a translator, you can put that translator on your Blacklist. Then, you won’t see that translator again.
What happens to that translator once he/she were put into the blacklist.
When a translator were put into blacklist from decided number of requestors, the translator's account will be suspended."

[Edited at 2012-08-27 23:04 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

mrippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:20
English to Italian
Thank you for sharing this. Aug 27, 2012

We assure you that we offer you with the cheapest translation service.


At least they are honest on the quality of the translations offered.



[Edited at 2012-08-27 23:06 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Everybody Can Be A Translator Aug 28, 2012

Everybody Can Be A Translator

No Exams - 3 Minutes Registration

Work Anytime You Want

Rewarded with a Littel Income
The more you translate, more you get paid.
We use Paypal to quickly pay what you've earned.


Thanks for posting about this scam company. Seems like everyone want to get into the act..........


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:20
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...

MODERATOR
outrageous and borderline criminal Aug 28, 2012

Thank you for sharing, Jeff.

I've seen similar organized scams before, but this part is rather unique and especially troubling:

How can I become a translator?
All you need to do is sign in with your Facebook account and register your languages on xxx.


So, not only do they disrespect and undermine our profession but as a side business they also steal Facebook login information?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:20
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Cheapest translation Aug 28, 2012

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

We assure you that we offer you with the cheapest translation service.
Have you ever had a problem communicating in different languages such as in case of oversea busines email and overseanet-shopping?


Three perfect examples of the quality to be expected. In one sentence!

Jeff Whittaker wrote:.What is the Blacklist?
If you are not happy with the results from a translator, you can put that translator on your Blacklist. Then, you won’t see that translator again.
What happens to that translator once he/she were put into the blacklist.
When a translator were put into blacklist from decided number of requestors, the translator's account will be suspended."

[Edited at 2012-08-27 23:04 GMT]


This is a defamatory practice. (Aside from the missing congruence. )
They're trying to increase the clicks on their Facebook page (wonder what they're getting for it )and try to assure any blue-eyed client that they're the best... definiately not when it comes to their knowledge of grammer.

The only fair solution: put them on all available scam information/warning sites. (Shrug)

Thank you, Jeff, for sharing.

[Edited at 2012-08-28 06:01 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The translations are posted on the site! Aug 28, 2012

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
"Translators" all over the world will race each other to translate your documents first in order to earn points.


The good news is: the actual translations are on site!

Go the main page, click "Become translator", and then notice the row of coloured icons roughly in the middle of the page. This is a random selection of translators' profile pages. Click some of them, to see how many translators registered many months ago but hasn't done any translations yet. But some of them have done translations, and some of them quite a lot, for example:

https://conyac.cc/users/keromoo?locale=en

On the user's profile page, click the "Translations" tab (which indicates the number of translations done) to see the target texts of his translations. Click any specific translation to see not only both source text and target text, but also the translations submitted by the other winning entry (I get the impression that the top two entries are shown to the client).

Some jobs are broken down into more than one chunk, and consequently you may see multiple translators on a single piece of text (you can see which chunks they did and who the translators were). For example, see here:

https://conyac.cc/questions/54955?locale=en#translation-149345

Now... we can complain about this site and all, but many of the translations into English that I have had a look at are roughly acceptable -- and by that I mean that they are probably quite a bit better than machine translation.

The fact that one always sees two translations of a text is also quite useful. For each translation, you can also see how many fellow-translators reviewed a text, and how many of them found it "good" (there doesn't seem to be more grading levels than "good" and "not good").

The versions of the translations online seem to have been anonymised in some way. E-mail addresses are asterisked out in a uniform way, and company names and proper nouns are replaced with A, B, C etc. I'm not sure if the translators are able to see the original names.

And all this is visible to anyone. I suppose registered users can see more stuff...

Here are two examples of translations:

この度、落札いただきました。当方は、1月25日に725ドルをPAYPALよりお支払いいたしました。今、PAYPALを確認しましたが、「支払い先(***@***.com)の受取人は未登録です」と表示されております。当方は、支払い済みですので、PAYPALに確認していただけませんでしょうか?よおしくお願い致します。
(source text by https://conyac.cc/users/ken1981 )

Hello, I won your item and paid $725 via PayPal on 25th Jan. I just found out that the transaction status was "Your recipient did not sign up with PayPal using the email address(***@***.com) that you used to send the money." I surely paid so please confirm with PayPal. Thank you in advance.
(translated by https://conyac.cc/users/ccrescent )

I won your auction and sent $725 via PayPal on 1/25. I just checked my PayPal account, and it shows that "***@***.com This recipient is not yet registered." Can you confirm my payment with Paypal? Thank you.
(translated by https://conyac.cc/users/tany522 )


あなたの商品には度々不良品があります。他の会社の商品は1年の保証がありますが、あなたの商品には保証はありますか?
(source text by https://conyac.cc/users/swooon )

We sometimes received defective products from you.
Many companies offer one year warranty. Do you offer such warranty?
[1 of 3 translators found this translation good!]
(translated by https://conyac.cc/users/chipange )

Your products are often with defects. Other company give their products 1year warranty, how about yours?
[0 of 1 translators found this translation good!]
(translated by https://conyac.cc/users/8174sherry_sd )


Now I don't know any Japanese, but these translations are not unhelpful.

Samuel

[Added:]

Here's the URL for browsing all the translations (you can filter by language):
https://conyac.cc/public
Contrary to what I had expected, most translations are from English, not into English (except for Japanese and Simplified Chinese, which also have many translations into English).

[Added 2:]

I started to sign up (for the hell of it), and once again I see just how connected the web has become, because although I used a random username, thanks to my e-mail address Conyac knew what my Gravatar avatar is (which has my face on it), though fortunately one can't click from Conyac through to my Gravatar profile. However, I have a personal rule against linking non-Facebook accounts with my Facebook account, so I can't finish my registration.



[Edited at 2012-08-28 07:15 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 18:20
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Dear colleagues! Aug 28, 2012

There is no need to be worried. It is just another attempt for crowdsourcing, a method which attempts to replace/supplement MT in the field of cheap, simple translations. I saw several such sites and I don't feel endangered at all. Based on provided examples, I don't see it as competition, as I don't make my living by translating texts at the level of difficulty of junior high school.

Many years ago, when I entered into the business we used to translate letters of type "We sent you three bags of corn. Confirm receipt, please." In relatively short time this kind of translation disappeared with school producing students having at least basic knowledge of English.
Clients of such crowdsourcing sites are like people, who once used to ask me for "rough translation, just to understand the idea". Fortunately, I am already in other position.

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

This is from a real website, but what a joke!!! "Translators" all over the world will race each other to translate your documents first in order to earn points. I wish these internet entrepreneurs would get a real job. It seems like every week there is a new "make money as a translator" portal scam.

"Where normal translation agency and online translation takes more than 3 hours to get your results back, we can provide you with your results in 15 minutes the fastest.

There are thousands of translators from all over the world ready to process your request.
You can make a request from just $2.
We assure you that we offer you with the cheapest translation service.
Have you ever had a problem communicating in different languages such as in case of oversea busines email and oversea net-shopping?
It's not just books and publishing where translation comes in.
You could use us in any use in such situations.

How can I become a translator?
All you need to do is sign in with your Facebook account and register your languages on xxx.
How can I earn points?
The first two people to translate each text will be awarded points within six hours.
How much are the points worth?How can I evaluate translations?
The value starts at 50 and goes up or down depending on the evaluations it receives. A higher value means a better translation.What is the Blacklist?
If you are not happy with the results from a translator, you can put that translator on your Blacklist. Then, you won’t see that translator again.
What happens to that translator once he/she were put into the blacklist.
When a translator were put into blacklist from decided number of requestors, the translator's account will be suspended."

[Edited at 2012-08-27 23:04 GMT]


[Edited at 2012-08-28 07:27 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 18:20
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
By the way, Aug 28, 2012

there are things that bothers me much more. Yestereday I received (through Proz) an e-mail fom Irish agency, stating:
Dear Sir/Madam,
My name is ... and I work for ..., Ireland. We have a large number of requests for Slovak/English translations, so we are looking for a Slovak/English translator. We usually pay 0.02 USD p/w. Could you please let me know if you want to work with us.


If an agency (and not Chinesse or Indian, but Irish one) makes such attempts, it is really disguisting.


[Edited at 2012-08-28 07:27 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 19:20
Turkish to English
+ ...
Agree Aug 28, 2012

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

There is no need to be worried. It is just another attempt for crowdsourcing, a method which attempts to replace/supplement MT in the field of cheap, simple translations. I saw several such sites and I don't feel endangered at all. Based on provided examples, I don't see it as competition, as I don't make my living by translating texts at the level of difficulty of junior high school.

Many years ago, when I entered into the business we used to translate letters of type "We sent you three bags of corn. Confirm receipt, please." In relatively short time this kind of translation disappeared with school producing students having at least basic knowledge of English.
Clients of such crowdsourcing sites are like people, who once used to ask me for "rough translation, just to understand the idea". Fortunately, I am already in other position.

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

This is from a real website, but what a joke!!! "Translators" all over the world will race each other to translate your documents first in order to earn points. I wish these internet entrepreneurs would get a real job. It seems like every week there is a new "make money as a translator" portal scam.

"Where normal translation agency and online translation takes more than 3 hours to get your results back, we can provide you with your results in 15 minutes the fastest.

There are thousands of translators from all over the world ready to process your request.
You can make a request from just $2.
We assure you that we offer you with the cheapest translation service.
Have you ever had a problem communicating in different languages such as in case of oversea busines email and oversea net-shopping?
It's not just books and publishing where translation comes in.
You could use us in any use in such situations.

How can I become a translator?
All you need to do is sign in with your Facebook account and register your languages on xxx.
How can I earn points?
The first two people to translate each text will be awarded points within six hours.
How much are the points worth?How can I evaluate translations?
The value starts at 50 and goes up or down depending on the evaluations it receives. A higher value means a better translation.What is the Blacklist?
If you are not happy with the results from a translator, you can put that translator on your Blacklist. Then, you won’t see that translator again.
What happens to that translator once he/she were put into the blacklist.
When a translator were put into blacklist from decided number of requestors, the translator's account will be suspended."

[Edited at 2012-08-27 23:04 GMT]


[Edited at 2012-08-28 07:27 GMT]


I agree with you, Vladimir. I consider myself to be a competent legal translator in my pair, and do not feel in the least bit threatened by this venture.

Let us not exaggerate. This is not a scam, but a genuine business model for providing very fast and very cheap simple translations. It is ideal for, say, somebody who has bought an item on e-Bay from a seller in another country for $10 and then needs to convey a simple message to that seller. I cannot see it serving the kind of needs that I address in my work.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Anthocharis88  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:20
English to French
I also tried May 7, 2016

You want a better joke? Here it is!

When I click on the "take test" button, (EN-FR), you have 9 hours to complete a test translation of about... 3,000 words!!! No, really, 3,000 words for a test???

I was motivated to join them but after I saw this, I went back to play guitar Seems like they are going to have translations for free on their side

Not from me anymore, thank you and have fun


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translations in 15 minutes for $2.00 or less

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search