Thread poster: Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Local time: 05:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2004

I get a lot of agencies and clients always wanting the document translated by "yesterday."

I'm just curious. I don't hear that discussed much.
Do you charge a rush fee?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Sormane

[Edited at 2004-07-30 02:23]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Usually Not Jul 30, 2004

It often happens that my regular clients, who are good to me, sometimes need things in a hurry. If they do, I get it out to them in time to meet their short deadline and just charge my regular rate.

Work has to be done anyway, and I figure the faster, the better. In some cases I may charge extra for a rush, but in recent years I cannot recall doing it much if at all.

However, as a general practice I would recommend charging perhaps 25-50% more or even double if you real
... See more
It often happens that my regular clients, who are good to me, sometimes need things in a hurry. If they do, I get it out to them in time to meet their short deadline and just charge my regular rate.

Work has to be done anyway, and I figure the faster, the better. In some cases I may charge extra for a rush, but in recent years I cannot recall doing it much if at all.

However, as a general practice I would recommend charging perhaps 25-50% more or even double if you really have to burn the candle at both ends. It's quite legitimate.
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
It deppends on what the rush entails. Jul 30, 2004

If "rush" means that I would need to work extra hours in the evening or the weekend, then, yes, I would charge 50% more. Those who are serious about their "rush" needs will gladly pay the extra bucks. If all the rush requires is that I sit down and do the work now rather than later, so I can deliver it today rather than in 24 hours, then I see no point in charging extra.

Two things I would not do:

- compromise quality to satisfy a client who is in a hurry; and
... See more
If "rush" means that I would need to work extra hours in the evening or the weekend, then, yes, I would charge 50% more. Those who are serious about their "rush" needs will gladly pay the extra bucks. If all the rush requires is that I sit down and do the work now rather than later, so I can deliver it today rather than in 24 hours, then I see no point in charging extra.

Two things I would not do:

- compromise quality to satisfy a client who is in a hurry; and

- break prior commitments to secure a new job, no matter how much the client is willing to pay.
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:32
German to English
One rule of thumb Jul 30, 2004

Someone suggested in a post here a while ago that the decision to charge rush prices should be based on your own general speed. If you can handle 3,000 words a day, and aren't busy with other projects, then a "rush" 1,000 word project probably isn't worthy of rush prices. A 8,500 word project over two days, though, is more than your normal capacity, and probably is.

I've been following this rule for about a year and it's worked well.

Cheers,

Steven

[
... See more
Someone suggested in a post here a while ago that the decision to charge rush prices should be based on your own general speed. If you can handle 3,000 words a day, and aren't busy with other projects, then a "rush" 1,000 word project probably isn't worthy of rush prices. A 8,500 word project over two days, though, is more than your normal capacity, and probably is.

I've been following this rule for about a year and it's worked well.

Cheers,

Steven

[Edited at 2004-07-30 08:15]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge a rush fee?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »