U.S. version of the Certificado de Residencial Fiscal?
Thread poster: Justin Peterson

Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:45
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Oct 10, 2012

Dear colleagues: The agency I run as PM has generally avoided using translators outside of Spain due to the fiscal complications involved. We require a "CERTIFICADO DE RESIDENCIA FISCAL" from all translators from outside Spain. There are translators I would like to work with in the U.S., for example, but they don´t even know what the UNITED STATES equivalent of this form would be. Can anyone advise? Thank you very much. - Justin Peterson, Madrid, Spain

PD: Also, is there a standard "Certificado de Residencia Fiscal" form which translators in EUROPE should be able to produce?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Perhaps this will help Oct 10, 2012

Justin Peterson wrote:
is there a standard "Certificado de Residencia Fiscal" form which translators in EUROPE should be able to produce?

http://www.ucm.es/info/ecofin/docs/normativa/referencias/modelos_certificado_rf.pdf

peruvian777
Local time: 22:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Form 6166 Oct 10, 2012

The IRS provides a residency certification on Form 6166: Certification of U.S. Tax Residency.

Form 6166 is a letter printed on U.S. Department of Treasury stationery certifying that the individuals or entities listed are residents of the United States for purposes of the income tax laws of the United States. This form may also be used to claim income tax treaty benefits and certain other tax benefits in foreign countries.

Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:45
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wow. Thank you for your prompt replies... Oct 10, 2012

Thank you so much for prompt and helpful replies. I hope that this information is useful to other proz PMs and translators as well. I appreciate it. - Justin Peterson. Madrid, Spain.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:45
German to English
+ ...
Explain? Oct 10, 2012

I am in the United States, but don't speak Spanish. What type of information are you looking for exactly in this form? Residence for tax purposes?

Maybe you are looking for a W-9?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRS_tax_forms#W-9

I (U.S.-based) have to have W-8BEN's on file for non-U.S. persons to whom I outsource work so that I don't have to withhold tax from payments.

Have you consulted your company's accountant?

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:45
German to English
+ ...
Perfect Oct 10, 2012

Perfect, peruvian777! That is good info to have.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

U.S. version of the Certificado de Residencial Fiscal?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search