Thread poster: Madeleine Chevassus

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:07
Member (2010)
English to French
Oct 14, 2012

hello

I work with an Agency for more than one year.

Each project is quite unformal. (No PO; only a simple mail with WC).

It was OK but recently the Word files contained several figures / snapshots which were not taken in account in the Word Count, and were not possible to handle directly by the Cat tool or by PowerPoint.

This is a big extra work which I use to charge separately by hour, but it was refused / proposed a ridiculous price by this Agency. Please note that I had to enter manually in Excel all the figures English text to be able to translate their text via the CAT tool and determine the word count.

My attitude consisted in invoicing that by hour; the agency disagreed.

Is there a standard policy? American client / European client?

When I know more about usual policies, I'll include them as a standard rule in written Terms and
Conditions before accepting new "unformal orders" from this agency, and for other clients.

Thanks for giving your feedback

Madeleine

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
By the hour Oct 14, 2012

Hi Madeleine,

this is a lot of extra work that your client is asking you to do. Therefore, you should charge by the hour.

Since the agency disagreed, you might ask them to send you the graphics/ screenshots or scanned documents in text form, either as a .doc or a .ttx file. After all, since your client wants to pay you for the translation only, it is his or her responsibility to send you the documents in a workable "condition", so to speak or... pay you by the hour.

I have had a client who kept sending me documents that I could not (easily and in a timely manner) work with. Once I had stated my price for this extra work, it was amazing how fast I received these file in a Word document.

Best regards,

Thayenga

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"That isn't my job" Oct 14, 2012

Thayenga wrote:
since your client wants to pay you for the translation only, it is his or her responsibility to send you the documents in a workable "condition", so to speak or... pay you by the hour.

I have had a client who kept sending me documents that I could not (easily and in a timely manner) work with. Once I had stated my price for this extra work, it was amazing how fast I received these file in a Word document.

It never ceases to amaze me that agencies, who should be responsible for any DTP etc. that needs to be done on the files, so often tell you that they can't even provide a text file of a PDF. Well, they say "can't", but what they mean is "won't". I've also had agencies (and direct clients, actually) who have changed their minds and find they can provide something translatable when I tell them that I'm useless with DTP and it'll take me ages to do the work - at their expense.

When I had a couple of doors and windows replaced recently, that's exactly what the fitter did. He left me to sort out painting them, making good the plastering, redecorating... As he said: "that isn't my job". He didn't find it difficult to say that - why should we?

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Oct 15, 2012

Thanks for relating your own experience.

About me the difficulty is anticipating the problem during the negociation phase, before the PO is issued. - for this agency, no formal PO - then I should not accept the job before checking that everything is clear. May be Studio 2011 will help me to better visualize the "non translatable" zones in a file.

Thanks again, and have a good day

Madeleine

[Edited at 2012-10-15 14:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing of extra figures/snapshots translations

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search