Thread poster: Thayenga

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 14, 2012

Here is another example, posted on the ProZ.com job board, of how "appreciated" our services are.

The outsourcer has posted a proofreading job of 1.500 words to be delivered sometime this evening (Sunday). Here is the generous offer:

Budget and payment details:

Hide / show
$0.01 USD to $0.01 USD per word
Further payment details: $0.01 per word, paid tomorrow Monday via Paypal or Moneybookers

Estimation in your preferred currency (using today's conversion rate):
€0.008 EUR to €0.008 EUR per word

Yes, it is Euro 0,008 per source word.

I'm just curious what this outsourcer would do if the job was for only 50 words or even less.
Considering the PayPal/Moneybooker fees, that proofreader might end up working for less than half a Euro cent.... on a rushed delivery. Hmmmm...

Direct link Reply with quote

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
But they get bidders Oct 14, 2012

One sees rush jobs posted for dumping rates all the time on the Proz job board. The most disgusting aspect is that people actually bid on these jobs. As long as agencies or whatever know that someone will eventually bid, there's no reason to offer more. I personally know of two people outsourcing who offered jobs at unacceptably low rates and received (and accepted) bids from people who offered to do the jobs for even less!!
So isses.

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even less? Oct 14, 2012

writeaway wrote:

One sees rush jobs posted for dumping rates all the time on the Proz job board. The most disgusting aspect is that people actually bid on these jobs. As long as agencies or whatever know that someone will eventually bid, there's no reason to offer more. I personally know of two people outsourcing who offered jobs at unacceptably low rates and received (and accepted) bids from people who offered to do the jobs for even less!!
So isses.

This is hilarious. And it brings me back to this: these agencies probably expect the translator to pay them for getting a chance to be exploited.

Yes, you are right. I have seen jobs like this one receiving dozens of quotes. For as long as out colleagues (at least some of them) are willing to work for these rates, there's no reason why these, well, yes, black sheep agencies should offer more, let alone pay more.

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perhaps not lowball quotes Oct 15, 2012

Call me an optimist, but I like to look at the number of "quotes" shown, and hope that these are actually quotes for .10 cents a word or more -- placed by translators who are taking the time to rebuke the job posters and tell them what those translation services are actually worth.

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Optimism Oct 15, 2012

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Call me an optimist, but I like to look at the number of "quotes" shown, and hope that these are actually quotes for .10 cents a word or more -- placed by translators who are taking the time to rebuke the job posters and tell them what those translation services are actually worth.

Yes, this what I am thinking (or hoping) when I see this type of job posts. The few times I've quoted on such jobs, mainly because of an interesting project, I always quoted my actual rate and deliberately ignored the outsourcer's rates.

The usual reply to my quotes: job closed. (Shrug)

xxxLucyPatterso
English
Translations for EUR 0.008 per word Oct 15, 2012

I wonder what these translations turn out like? Do they make any sense? Are they passable (sometimes Google translate comes up with some great translation suggestions to be honest!)

Perhaps I will post one of these low-rate jobs as an experiment and see what is sent back to me!

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting idea Oct 15, 2012

LucyPatterson wrote:

I wonder what these translations turn out like? Do they make any sense? Are they passable (sometimes Google translate comes up with some great translation suggestions to be honest!)

Perhaps I will post one of these low-rate jobs as an experiment and see what is sent back to me!

Hi Lucy,

yes, perhaps you should try this - if it's then permitted on ProZ.com.
This particular post was for proofreading, but I've seen this price being offeren (seriously?) for translations as well.

In regard to Google Translations, a colleague of mine had received an offer to proofread and edit Google Translations' "products" for.... Euro 0,01/word. Of course, being an excellent and successful freelancer, she refused and even received a reply stating something like this: "we understand that you see yourself unable to work for the rate we offered you. However, once this project is completed, you, as a freelancer, will have less work to do by simply calling up our Google Translations."

Needless to say that they never received a reply. I must mention here that this job offer did not come from Google Translations but from an agency.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An urgent assignment fully underpaid

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search