Thread poster: Martina Tomassini

Martina Tomassini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 7, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I would appreciate your opinion on this quote I have been asked to make. I have worked as a freelance translator for 5+ years, mostly with translation agencies.

I have been contacted by a direct client who would like to have his IT website translated from FR to EN, and he's based in Switzerland.

My question is: what's the good practice with website localisation quotes? Does the fee per word apply, or is it customary to apply a forfeit sum? Also, if the website happens to be very technical, does an additional percentage apply? Can anybody give me an idea of the average fee that would be applied in a similar case in the Swiss translation market?

Many thanks in advance for sharing your insight,

Martina

Direct link Reply with quote

He Jiming
Local time: 17:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
The problem solved? Can you share with us? Apr 8, 2013

I believe many translators including me have the same problem about how to give a quote for website localization. It would be very helpful if you share your experience with us.

Regards
He Jiming

Martina Tomassini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sharing my experience Apr 8, 2013

Thanks for following up on this!

Well, in the case of Switzerland, after consulting with other UK-based colleagues, I applied a fee of GBP 0.15/ source word.

I had another client, in Italy, who needed localisation services: in that case a forfeit sum was agreed (basically you do a word count with your proposed fee and then you apply a 5% to 10% discount, depending on what's reasonable).

I think my lesson learned is that there's no clear-cut rule and you need to adapt to the circumstances, while not losing sight of what's reasonable for you.

I would be happy to hear about other colleagues' experience too,

Martina

He Jiming
Local time: 17:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for your experience-sharing Apr 9, 2013

Thanks for your experience-sharing and tips. It is very kind of you.

I believe what you have discussed is very useful and helpful to me.

Thanks

He Jiming

[Edited at 2013-04-09 13:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: quote for a website translation/localisation

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search