Thread poster: two2tango

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2004

I received a very credible mail from Bank XXXX (a World Class one) stating

Recently there have been a large number of identity theft attempts targeting Bank XXXX customers. In order to safeguard you account, we require that you confirm your banking details.

This process is mandatory, and if not completed within the nearest time your account maybe subject to temporary suspension.

To securely confirm your Bank XXXX account details please go to (an URL follows)

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter and thank you for using Bank XXXX.

Bank XXX Identity Theft Solutions

This is an obvious attempt to steal our banking data. Anyone receiving this kind of request should delete it. I apologize if this is too evident, but anyone can have a moment of distraction and fall pray of this traps.

Cheers,
Enrique

Direct link Reply with quote

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I received the same email Aug 9, 2004

Actually, I received the same email with the same content. I sometimes wished I could stand face to face with these criminals.

Me, too Aug 9, 2004

Luckily I noticed that they sent it to an old email address that I never use, but for some reason seems this address attracts a lot of spam. You have to be on your toes these days.

Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too Aug 10, 2004

In different versions at least twice a month for the past six months. All supposedly from Citibank... BUT I only get these messages in my proz email account.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:48
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I checked with the bank Aug 10, 2004

It's not theirs. And if the information goes into a non-secure site (http://), don't buy it.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
German to English
+ ...
I reported one like this Aug 10, 2004

to Citibank today. Be careful - I couldn't copy the body of the e-mail to report it - it is clickable.

Nedzad Selmanovic
English to Bosnian
+ ...
another comment Aug 10, 2004

Well, they could become smarter in the future by providing fake telephone numbers and postal addresses making their attempt more real and convincing. It is a typical SPAM. A hacker is a baby in comparison with such a rude and nasty thief. I think they should be traced over the net, arrested, prosecuted and imprisoned for a long time, and possibly sent for charity work in poor countries with poor jail conditions.

Best of luck to everybody.

Nedzad

Lyne
English to French
A tip Aug 10, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

to Citibank today. Be careful - I couldn't copy the body of the e-mail to report it - it is clickable.

If you want to copy something that is entirely clickable, open the mail, do a CTRL + A, then a CTRL + C, open Word or any text pad, or even the mail you want to send to Citibank, and do a CTRL + V.

It should work

Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Examples Aug 11, 2004

Is it only affecting Citibank account holders???

Anyway the link below -partially in Spanish- lists some of these spoofing e-mails.

http://www.citibank.cl/chile/lacl/spanish/service/services/emailfr.htm

Click on VER.

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I couldn't copy the body of the e-mail to report it - it is clickable.

[Edited at 2004-08-11 01:01]

[Edited at 2004-08-11 01:10]

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:48
French to Portuguese
+ ...
The same happened to me today Aug 11, 2004

I got an e-mail today, not from Citybank but from US BANK. The text is also clickable but when I copy it to word I can't see it. Hopefully I had read this forum. Otherwise I would open the link and see what it was all about, since I am not a customer of US Bank (I only have an account, which is in Portugal). I didn't bother to open the link and I just deleted the e-mail.

Thank you all.
Regards,
Ivana

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:48
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I forgot to mention one thing Aug 11, 2004

I just forgot to mention in my previous post that the e-mail title was "Please confirm your banking details". Was it the same with you all?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ID theft alert

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search