Thread poster: Valeria Audivert
Valeria Audivert
Valeria Audivert  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2004

Hello,
I'm being offered a position for a project manager translating technical and telecom materials from Spa into Eng.
I've never billed by the hour, and was hoping somebody here could give me an idea on what would be an average rate?
Thank you!

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Base it on your per-word rate Aug 11, 2004

Your hourly rate should be based on your own per-word rate. How many words can you translate per hour in an average text (mid-way between the hardest and easiest texts you typically translate)? Don't forget to account for time spent on research and proofreading. My hourly rate is equal to my rate for translating approximately 400 words.

You might be able to get a more accurate idea of what to bill if you track the total time taken for a few of your typical translation project
... See more
Your hourly rate should be based on your own per-word rate. How many words can you translate per hour in an average text (mid-way between the hardest and easiest texts you typically translate)? Don't forget to account for time spent on research and proofreading. My hourly rate is equal to my rate for translating approximately 400 words.

You might be able to get a more accurate idea of what to bill if you track the total time taken for a few of your typical translation projects. Divide the total earned by the exact time spent translating, researching and proofreading to find out how much you earned per hour of work.

In setting your rate, decide whether you would like to bill for parts of an hour. For example, for a job that takes you 2 hours and 40 minutes, would you bill 2 hours 40 minutes or 3 hours? If you make your hourly rate divisible by 3 or 6 or 12, you can bill for 20-minute, 10-minute or 5-minute increments respectively, which is better for the client and could make them appreciate you more; this could be well worth the few dollars less that you earn.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hourly Rate for Spanish into English

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »