Thread poster: Kamran Nadeem

Kamran Nadeem  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:00
English to Urdu
+ ...
Dec 26, 2012

Hi Colleagues,

We did a translation Service for a translation company (located in the USA) as on 03-06-2011 for $503.40, they never paid us for this service. We tried to contact them several times through email and Phone. There was no response from them, once we were able to talk to the president of the company and she asked us to send the invoice again. We sent her invoice again and again. We tried to contact them from April 2012 through October 2012. I sent a final email to the president to make the payment in November 2012 . She never replied to it as usual.

Then we have taken this matter to Better Business Bureau (BBB) and she this translation company never replied to the email of BBB. BBB has advised us either us sue the translation company in Small Claims Court or to give this past due amount to some collection agency.

I wanted to know that is any any forum where we can report about this issue?

Kind regards

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Proz Blue Board Dec 26, 2012

http://www.proz.com/blueboard/

If there is no BB record for the company, you can create one.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What are you waiting for? Dec 27, 2012

Kamran Nadeem wrote:
BBB has advised us either us sue the translation company in Small Claims Court or to give this past due amount to some collection agency.

Go ahead - sue them! Please! There are far too many non-payers around. Some agencies have genuine financial problems and are hoping we're willing to negotiate; others are happy to let "the financial crisis" give them an easier ride through cash-flow problems of their own making.

Meanwhile, as Rudolf says, you can create a BB record if there isn't one already, then leave an appropriate message to warn fellow translators.

aliasonly  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
No pain, no gain Dec 27, 2012

Decision-making is not easy, but it can only be made by you. So, get out of the dilemma.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:00
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Act now Dec 27, 2012

Hi Kamran,

as our colleagues have stated, you should take action, preferably now after such a long unfruitful wait.

You've given them more time than anyone else and many opportunities to settle the issue. Now it's time for them to accept all responsibilities for their inactivity. Create a BB record, make an entry and let them know about it (doesn't really matter whether they reply or not) and sue them.

Best of luck!

Thayenga

Sigrid Andersen  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
Sue them immidiately Dec 27, 2012

I would sue them immidiately. If people do not react to reminders they find themselves hunted by a debt collection office after 30 days overdue, if still no result after 60 days, sued. I am a translator, not a bank.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Indeed Dec 27, 2012

Sigrid Andersen wrote:

I am a translator, not a bank.

icon_biggrin.gif

Kamran Nadeem  Identity Verified
United States
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ Blue Board Dec 27, 2012

Hi Rudolf,

Can you please guide me how can I create the BB record for that company?

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
Adding to the BB Dec 27, 2012

Kamran Nadeem wrote:

Hi Rudolf,

Can you please guide me how can I create the BB record for that company?

Go to http://www.proz.com/blueboard/ and follow the links on the sidebar. You have to add the outsourcer first, then make an entry for them. As I recall, adding the outsourcer takes a few hours, since site staff has to check it. Once the addition has been accepted you can make your entry.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:00
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Recent trends Jan 31, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

http://www.proz.com/blueboard/

If there is no BB record for the company, you can create one.

I use Proz.com for nearly 15 years.

Proz recently restricts negative input against agencies as seen through a number of my requests [They were happy to post honest reputation before.]
Can we seek another forum to reflect risky nonpaying agencies on this Internet?

Soonthon L.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:00
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Another website Feb 16, 2013

I think you should make a negative entry in their Blue Board record, if only for the sake of other translators. That's what the Blue Board is for.
There is another website concerned with the practices of agencies regarding payment. It requires a modest subscription, but it's very good. I don't think I'm allowed to name it here, but if you contact me personally, I'll be happy to give you the details.
Best of luck,
Jenny

Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 02:00
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
Collection agency Feb 21, 2013

Contacting a collection agency (preferably in same area/state where the debtor is located) might be a good idea. That's how I eventually got my long-overdue payment from a USA-based translation company (which had a BB rating of 4.8 when I started working with them and is 3.1 or lower at the moment). Losing some 15%-20% of the amount is a much better option than not getting paid at all...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non Payment Issues

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search