celoudin
celoudin
Australia
Local time: 03:33
English to French
+ ...
Jan 13, 2013

Hello,

I just became NAATI accredited from English into French, and I've been contacted by a company to translate subtitles.
They're asking me my rates to translate lines from home on a word document (with an MPEG file for reference)
Then to go to their office (about 10-15 min drive from my office) to revise translated subtitles & to retime subtitles in their software

I've been translating subtitles in France in the past as I was managing a small productio
... See more
Hello,

I just became NAATI accredited from English into French, and I've been contacted by a company to translate subtitles.
They're asking me my rates to translate lines from home on a word document (with an MPEG file for reference)
Then to go to their office (about 10-15 min drive from my office) to revise translated subtitles & to retime subtitles in their software

I've been translating subtitles in France in the past as I was managing a small production company, but this was part of short films & small docos where we were not really making any money and I was inserting subtitles using Final Cut Pro myself. I assume their subtitling software's logic would not materially differ from the subtitling features in Final Cut Pro.

Based on my research re. subtitling translation rates per minute, I am considering asking at least AUD12/minute for translation, AUD6/minute for revision, and AUD2/minute for retiming. Should I also charge an additional fee for going to their office?

What do you think about these rates? Thank you in advance for your input

[Modifié le 2013-01-13 04:05 GMT]

[Modifié le 2013-01-13 04:06 GMT]
Collapse

John Willemsen
John Willemsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
rates subtitling Jan 13, 2013

My rate for subtitling is $5-7/min for subtitling, $2 for timecoding documents and $5 for synchronising texts and/or subs. But I've even been offered as low as $1.25/min!

Many clients also don't really understand what subtitling is, so be careful with that. Often times, subs cannot simply be translated but have to be localised.

As a sidenote: I have yet to work on a project where I could not work with SubtitleEdit. It's free software, incredibly versatile and hasn't fai
... See more
My rate for subtitling is $5-7/min for subtitling, $2 for timecoding documents and $5 for synchronising texts and/or subs. But I've even been offered as low as $1.25/min!

Many clients also don't really understand what subtitling is, so be careful with that. Often times, subs cannot simply be translated but have to be localised.

As a sidenote: I have yet to work on a project where I could not work with SubtitleEdit. It's free software, incredibly versatile and hasn't failed me yet (on more than 60 projects). It can handle every file format imaginable, including most proprietary ones.
Collapse

celoudin
celoudin
Australia
Local time: 03:33
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 13, 2013

John for your feedback, I assume I should ask a lower price then, it also depends on the type of film/show/doco I suppose

Carolin Krüger
Carolin Krüger
Germany
Local time: 19:33
English to German
+ ...
Rates in France Jan 14, 2013

In France, I usually get about 7€/min for translation only and sometimes more. The US rate I have been offered recently was $5/min.

For the retiming you could suggest an hourly rate, perhaps including the way to your client's office.

Hope it helps!

Alexis Rhyner
Alexis Rhyner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Confirm software before accepting contract Jan 18, 2013

I once was required to perform contract work "in-house" because all projects were to be carried out using Swift subtitling software, quite popular in larger companies in the states. Initially, I was fortunate that a current employee was kind enough to spend 30 minutes instructing me on its use and remained available if I had any questions. It's too complicated to figure out on your own, but easy enough to use with instruction.

I would suggest asking what kind of software they are a
... See more
I once was required to perform contract work "in-house" because all projects were to be carried out using Swift subtitling software, quite popular in larger companies in the states. Initially, I was fortunate that a current employee was kind enough to spend 30 minutes instructing me on its use and remained available if I had any questions. It's too complicated to figure out on your own, but easy enough to use with instruction.

I would suggest asking what kind of software they are asking you to use ahead of time and if you don't know how to use it, make sure someone is willing to train you. I imagine that they have made a large investment in the software and therefore require all projects to be delivered using it.

You also might want to consider a per line rate for the initial doc translation. Sometimes they are delivered to you spotted and all you have to do is type in your translation beneath. The docs don't contain many lines (perhaps approximately 10 or so). Practice with a few pages of homemade source language then project the amount of time it will take you per page, divided by each line. The character limit of each line is fixed, so this can also be a way to charge when spotting has already been done for you.

Best of luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling rates per minute in Australia in 2013

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »