Germany
Local time: 01:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Apr 24, 2002

Todays job posting:

http://www.proz.com/job?id=21157

Four pages, deadline on friday - and all at 0,04 EURO per word!

And there were already 5 bids by midday!

Incredible, it seems there are people out there, who wanna work for nothing!

Regards

J. Czopik

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 19:20
German to English
+ ...
Not necessarily Apr 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-24 10:25, JCzopik wrote:

Todays job posting:

http://www.proz.com/job?id=21157

Four pages, deadline on friday - and all at 0,04 EURO per word!

And there were already 5 bids by midday!

Incredible, it seems there are people out there, who wanna work for nothing!

Regards

J. Czopik

The number of bids does not mean a thing. We don\'t know anything about the contents of these bids. My guess (and hope) is that these are messages by fellow members telling the outsourcer to go .... themselves icon_wink.gif

xxxivw
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I couldn't agree more, Werner! Apr 24, 2002

Quote:

The number of bids does not mean a thing. We don\'t know anything about the contents of these bids. My guess (and hope) is that these are messages by fellow members telling the outsourcer to go .... themselves icon_wink.gif

My guess /and hope/ exactly!

Anneken
Local time: 01:20
French to Dutch
+ ...
That is exactly what I wanted to do as well... Apr 25, 2002

but I finally decided to keep things professional and so I did not place a bid saying:

\"Are you out of your mind or simply stupid? Who in his right mind would work for such a rate?\"

I don\'t envy those who do accept this type of rates though... One must be really desperate to accept such a rate!

Michael Ellis
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thnik about it Apr 26, 2002

I entirely agree with you Jerzy, here in Brazil the price has dropped out of the market. Local people are translating for as little as 1.5/2 U$ cents per word and obviously have no experience whatsoever. However, many people, agencies and local translators are paying them this rate for some sort of work. However, I will not drop prices, we have to set a standard and most clients should know that if you want something good you have to pay for it. I am also delaying my renewal of membership to Proz at the moment, I need some time to reflect and think about things and work out the benefits of it all.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 19:20
German to English
+ ...
To each his own Apr 28, 2002

Here\'s another 2 cents:

• These low-paying agencies keep dropping their rates while maintaining their rates charged to their direct clients.

• It\'s just a matter of time: with the rates, the quality will go down - and fast. So, at some point, the clients of these agencies will catch on and drop them.

• Those of our colleagues who are willing to work for peanuts will also be brought to \"justice\": you can keep this up for some time, but sooner or later you\'ll have to eat icon_wink.gif.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What a rate!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search