What to do when "payment is coming soon" lasts for too long?
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:26
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 2, 2004

I did a small job for an agency with neutral raitings on Blue Board.
The payment terms were - check within 2 weeks upon receipt of Invoice. I waited for a month and asked when my check was sent. The answer was "Oh, did we agreed to pay by check? Ok, we'll send it asap."
I asked for immediate payment as all deadlines were already overdue, the agency agreed to pay by another method of immediate payment. I could receive it the same day, but in about 2 days they said that transfer fee is too high for them.
Now we agreed on bank transfer, and I usually receive bank transfers within 3 days. It's been a week after they sent payment...
My request to provide at least their bank's confirmation of transfer is accepted but "currently there is an urgent project..., we have no time..."
I understand that there are many colleagues waiting sometimes even longer and they will probably say that I can still wait, but taking into account all this "negotiation history", I doubt that my payment was transferred.
What would you do?

[Edited at 2004-09-02 09:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:26
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Try to find somebody in the same town Sep 2, 2004

I'd try to find somebody in the same town to go personally to ask for that. It might be true that they sent the transfer, and if somebody goes to the office they will find the time to search.
If they "notice" that "the secretary" forgot to pay, they'd know that there's somebody ready to visit them.

I can't think of something else other than threatening with legal pursuite (if you're ready for that).

Your terms of payment were very clear.

Good luck

Claudia

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Received. Sep 8, 2004

I finally received my payment after more than 2 weeks from the transfer date.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:26
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
For next time: ask them to fax the proof of transfer Sep 9, 2004

As a yachting service company in Spain we used to ask a client to fax their proof of transfer as banks are notoriously slow. We did the same when placing large orders from suppliers in the USA. If you have all the data on a fax, you can also see if the payment data are correct etc.

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They did. Sep 10, 2004

anjoboira wrote:

As a yachting service company in Spain we used to ask a client to fax their proof of transfer as banks are notoriously slow. We did the same when placing large orders from suppliers in the USA. If you have all the data on a fax, you can also see if the payment data are correct etc.

I asked and they provided some html attachment - "confirmation of the bank e-branch": it was dated the same date I received it. Their PM said it was the date when the confirmation was issued, but I think it was the date of sending the payment, because I received the payment within three days (+weekend) from this confirmation...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when "payment is coming soon" lasts for too long?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search