Thread poster: SandraV

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:32
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 14, 2013

I have been asked by an agency to give them a price for a proofreading AND adaptation job of Castilian Spanish texts to Mexican Spanish. I am not sure if I should charge my regular PR rate as this job would also include the adaptation of those texts. Should I charge my regular PR rate PLUS an extra rate for the adaptation work, or just my regular PR rate? Or maybe I should charge this on a per-word basis based on my regular PR rate PLUS an extra amount?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 11:32
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Per hour Mar 14, 2013

I believe that this would be the best way of pricing the two services. However, the problem is that the client wants to know in advance how much money they will spend on the job.

Therefore, I assume that you should charge your normal PR rate and then a supplement on top of it for adaptation. Ask for the sample to see how much adaptation effort you'll have to make.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Depends on the adaptation Mar 14, 2013

Would it just involve changing terminology and maybe grammar to your native variant, where applicable? You would probably find that quite a natural thing to do, wouldn't you? I know that if I'm proofreading what turns out to be an American text, I really WANT to change it to British English (apart from anything else, I can't guarantee a 100% American result).

On the other hand, if there are many monetary amounts that need to be changed to local currency; organisations that need you to research the name of their local equivalent; idiomatic expressions that don't really work; etc, etc, then you'll probably want to increase your quote to take this into account.

As is always the case, nobody can really tell you how to charge. Just make sure that you earn at least your normal hourly rate for the time you spend on the job, however you present the quote to the client.

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:32
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much. Mar 28, 2013

Sheila and Cedomir, thank you very much for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for proofreading and adaptation services - feedback needed

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search