Going rate for proofreading in Poland?
Thread poster: Marzipaneater

Marzipaneater
Local time: 13:37
Polish to English
Mar 15, 2013

Simple question; what's the going rate for proofreading/correcting translations, as a "native speaker", in Poland currently? Rate per word or per page, if you can, please.

Z góry dziękuję!


 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:37
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Who's in Poland? Mar 16, 2013

Do you mean for proofreaders who live in Poland? Or for clients who live in Poland? Or only when both are true? I'm sorry to be pedantic (and I don't actually have an answer anyway) but we live in an extremely international market-place.

I'm hoping you mean for a proofreader who lives in Poland. We have to live off our earnings, so we have to earn according to our country's cost of living, regardless of where the client lives.


 

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
Russian to English
+ ...
If you are proofreading from Polish into English -- the English text, Mar 16, 2013

you should use regular English-editing rates, like everywhere else. Usually around $0.02-0.04/word.

 

Marzipaneater
Local time: 13:37
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 16, 2013

Thanks. That's neat and simple, equals about 0.06-0.12zl.

[Edited at 2013-03-16 21:05 GMT]


 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
English to German
+ ...
For editing? Mar 16, 2013

LilianBoland wrote:

you should use regular English-editing rates, like everywhere else. Usually around $0.02-0.04/word.


Editing means checking the translation against the source text PLUS proofreading. I wouldn't even do monolingual proofreading for measly 4 cents / word.
I would be careful with spreading false information regarding "usual" rates.


 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:37
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Be fair, Nicole Mar 16, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I wouldn't even do monolingual proofreading for measly 4 cents / word.
I would be careful with spreading false information regarding "usual" rates.

I'm sure you've seen enough proof by now that your rates are no more "usual" than those.


 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
English to German
+ ...
True, Sheila. Mar 17, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I wouldn't even do monolingual proofreading for measly 4 cents / word.
I would be careful with spreading false information regarding "usual" rates.

I'm sure you've seen enough proof by now that your rates are no more "usual" than those.


However, a translator located in the US should not recommend Third World rates for the English language.


 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
English to German
+ ...
I would like to share a story regarding proofreading/editing Mar 17, 2013

Because I learned the hard and highly efficient way that proofreading and editing shall never, ever be mixed up.
I once asked a highly cherished colleague and former professor of languages at a US university to take care of the editing of a translation. The edits were brilliant, but I noticed that some comma errors were not corrected. "Oh, you wanted me to take care of the proofreading, too? You didn't say so," was the reply. That's how I learned to never, ever mix those terms up again.


 

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I agree, Nicole. It is really not much for editing. Editing is usually 1/3 of the translation Mar 17, 2013

The translation market has been terribly damaged in Eastern Europe -- the rates. In some post-communist countries, people charge very little, either due to the lack of knowledge what translation is worth, or out of desperation. Some people in Poland and Russia charge $0.06 for translation or even lower -- can you imagine that? There should be more seminars to educate them what the global rates are.




[Edited at 2013-03-17 10:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-17 10:39 GMT]


 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
English to German
+ ...
@ Lilian Mar 17, 2013

LilianBoland wrote:

The translation market has been terribly damaged in Eastern Europe -- the rates. In some post-communist countries, people charge very little, either due to the lack of knowledge what translation is worth, or out of desperation. Some people in Poland and Russia charge $0.06 for translation or even lower -- can you imagine that? There should be more seminars to educate them what the global rates are.


I don't know much about Eastern European countries. I flew twice to Prague (from Germany) for business purposes and spent one week each time. I was charged the same rates for hotel and restaurants as in outrageously expensive downtown Frankfurt. I have no idea why those wonderful, friendly and highly educated people over there should charge less for the same professional services.


Cough, cough. "no idea", not "now idea". Sorry! icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2013-03-17 12:28 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going rate for proofreading in Poland?

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search