English Portuguese interpretation rates
Thread poster: Ligia Costa

Ligia Costa
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 21, 2013

A potential employer asked me to tell him my English < > Portuguese interpretation rates without specifying what the job is and under which conditions. Since I don't have experience interpreting, I don't know exactly what to ask for. I am a native Brazilian translator with a BA in Linguistics from an American college, specialized in Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Here are the questions I'd like to ask you:

a. What are the minimum and average rates for English Portuguese interpretation?
b. How does experience (or the lack of it) affect an interpreter's hourly rates?
c. Do different fields of expertise reflect extremely different pay rates, as I've seen for translation jobs?
d. Do you charge lost wages for excessive time of transportation?

Thank you very much for your input!

Ligia.

Direct link Reply with quote

Carlos Saiz  Identity Verified
Brazil
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Valores de referência no site do SINTRA Mar 22, 2013

Ligia,

Você pode dar uma olhada no site do SINTRA:
http://www.sintra.org.br/site/index.php?p=c&pag=precos

Boa sorte!

Carlos

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:41
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Ligia Mar 22, 2013

The answer is simple -- an interpreter without any experience cannot usually interpret because it is not enough to know two languages well to be able to interpret, unless the person took many interpreting courses and has hours of practice.

The average rates for interpreting in the US are between $25-$200/hr, depending on the type of interpreting and experience to some extent-- simply less experienced interpreters will never be asked to handle complex conference interpreting, or court interpreting which pay the most.

A beginning interpreter has better chances at IMEs -- independent physical examinations, assisting clients in different offices, etc. These types of consecutive interpreting usually pay between $25-$50/hr, with a two hour minimum, sometimes maybe even three plus transportation.

Ligia Costa
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 8, 2013

Thank you, Carlos and Lilian! I appreciate you taking some time to help me figure this out.

All best, Ligia.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English Portuguese interpretation rates

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search