How much should I charge for translating a driving license?
Thread poster: Zahraa Omar

Zahraa Omar  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:36
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 28, 2013

Hello,

I'm being asked to translate a driving license. The whole word count is less than 100 words; should I charge it per word like any other document? or give the client a rate for the whole document as a minimum charge? Or rate it by hour?? or what??

Thank you in advance

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Usually I charge Mar 28, 2013

20 EUR (+ VAT if applicable).

It is a minimum fee or lump sum or however you want to call it.

Gudrun

onur ilter  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Minimum Price Mar 28, 2013

Hello Zahraa,

In such situations I mostly use a minimum price. For instance in the past I would say 1 page = 1.000 characters = 180 words and then I would name my price for that + a note that says: any document containing less than 180 words is accepted as 1 page.

I guess translation bureaus are also using such conditions.

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Your rate Mar 28, 2013

Your rate per word or your minimum rate, whatever is higher.

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
English to Slovak
+ ...
£35 Mar 28, 2013

My rate for driving licences, diplomas, birth certificates................

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hmm.. Mar 28, 2013

Rad Graban wrote:

When you reflect on what e.g. a doctor may charge to just SIGN a passport application form et al., seems v. reasonableicon_wink.gif

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Hmm indeed! Mar 28, 2013

Rachel Fell wrote:

Rad Graban wrote:

When you reflect on what e.g. a doctor may charge to just SIGN a passport application form et al., seems v. reasonableicon_wink.gif

Now I'm intrigued - on what sort of occasions do doctors sign passport applications (other than their own)? Is it a British thing?

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes - Mar 28, 2013

you have to get a "professional" type of person - doctor, professor or something (I forget offhand what the wording is) - to vouch for you...

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@ Rachel - of course! Mar 29, 2013

Rachel Fell wrote:

Rad Graban wrote:

Thanks for reminding me. Now I do recall that interesting tidbit, after having come across it for the first time as a plot point in LeCarre's The Night Manager. I'd forgotten in the meantime.

Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now that's interesting Mar 29, 2013

Rachel Fell wrote:

you have to get a "professional" type of person - doctor, professor or something (I forget offhand what the wording is) - to vouch for you...

I have never paid anyone to certify that it is me in the photo. I've always asked an acquaintance who happened to be a bank manager, doctor, etc. to sign.

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
I signed plenty Mar 29, 2013

Helena Chavarria wrote:

Rachel Fell wrote:

I have never paid anyone to certify that it is me in the photo. I've always asked an acquaintance who happened to be a bank manager, doctor, etc. to sign.

When I was a school teacher I signed plenty, for pupils, their parents, neighbours and like every other teacher I know it never entered my head to ask a fee for this.
Now that I'm no longer a teacher and a member of this unregulated profession, I don't qualify to countersign such things any more!

Zahraa Omar  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 29, 2013

Thank you everybody for your answers.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. I agree with most suggestions. I will probably charge $30 Mar 29, 2013

In the case of document translation, there is certain minimum, even, if the document had five words. In my case, it is usually $30. I don't translate that many documents of this types -- sometimes as a bundle -- with some other documents, but this is what I would charge.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for translating a driving license?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search