How much should I charge for translating a driving license?
Thread poster: Zahraa Omar

Zahraa Omar  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 28, 2013

Hello,

I'm being asked to translate a driving license. The whole word count is less than 100 words; should I charge it per word like any other document? or give the client a rate for the whole document as a minimum charge? Or rate it by hour?? or what??

Thank you in advance

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:18
English to German
+ ...
Usually I charge Mar 28, 2013

20 EUR (+ VAT if applicable).

It is a minimum fee or lump sum or however you want to call it.

Gudrun

onur ilter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Minimum Price Mar 28, 2013

Hello Zahraa,

In such situations I mostly use a minimum price. For instance in the past I would say 1 page = 1.000 characters = 180 words and then I would name my price for that + a note that says: any document containing less than 180 words is accepted as 1 page.

I guess translation bureaus are also using such conditions.

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Your rate Mar 28, 2013

Your rate per word or your minimum rate, whatever is higher.

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:18
English to Slovak
+ ...
£35 Mar 28, 2013

My rate for driving licences, diplomas, birth certificates................

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hmm.. Mar 28, 2013

Rad Graban wrote:

When you reflect on what e.g. a doctor may charge to just SIGN a passport application form et al., seems v. reasonableicon_wink.gif

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Hmm indeed! Mar 28, 2013

Rachel Fell wrote:

Rad Graban wrote:

When you reflect on what e.g. a doctor may charge to just SIGN a passport application form et al., seems v. reasonableicon_wink.gif

Now I'm intrigued - on what sort of occasions do doctors sign passport applications (other than their own)? Is it a British thing?

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes - Mar 28, 2013

you have to get a "professional" type of person - doctor, professor or something (I forget offhand what the wording is) - to vouch for you...

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@ Rachel - of course! Mar 29, 2013

Rachel Fell wrote:

Rad Graban wrote:

Thanks for reminding me. Now I do recall that interesting tidbit, after having come across it for the first time as a plot point in LeCarre's The Night Manager. I'd forgotten in the meantime.

Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now that's interesting Mar 29, 2013

Rachel Fell wrote:

you have to get a "professional" type of person - doctor, professor or something (I forget offhand what the wording is) - to vouch for you...

I have never paid anyone to certify that it is me in the photo. I've always asked an acquaintance who happened to be a bank manager, doctor, etc. to sign.

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
I signed plenty Mar 29, 2013

Helena Chavarria wrote:

Rachel Fell wrote:

I have never paid anyone to certify that it is me in the photo. I've always asked an acquaintance who happened to be a bank manager, doctor, etc. to sign.

When I was a school teacher I signed plenty, for pupils, their parents, neighbours and like every other teacher I know it never entered my head to ask a fee for this.
Now that I'm no longer a teacher and a member of this unregulated profession, I don't qualify to countersign such things any more!

Zahraa Omar  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 29, 2013

Thank you everybody for your answers.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. I agree with most suggestions. I will probably charge $30 Mar 29, 2013

In the case of document translation, there is certain minimum, even, if the document had five words. In my case, it is usually $30. I don't translate that many documents of this types -- sometimes as a bundle -- with some other documents, but this is what I would charge.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for translating a driving license?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search