CRISDELUX  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:26
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2013

Hello all,

I've just been asked to do the transcription of 20 minutes' audio file. It is Spanish>Spanish and needs to be sworn.

I do not foresee any problem with this, but have no idea what the rates are like in Spain.

Can you advice on the standard rates for this?

Many thanks in advance,

Cristina

Direct link Reply with quote

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:26
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Yellow Pages... Apr 2, 2013

I would call a secretarial service or a temporary staffing/personnel agency, tell them that I would need an audio-typist for a day and ask how much they charge. They will give you a range according to the experience of the persons they have in bank.

[Edited at 2013-04-02 23:44 GMT]

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
does the country matter? Apr 3, 2013

Presumably your business is an international business and therefore the rates in Spain are irrelevant. The rate you need to charge is a rate that you would be happy doing the work for regardless of where your client is based. I would advise charging your normal hourly rate for this, taking into account the time you actually take as opposed to the audio minutes.
I'm also not 100% sure that this is a translator's job if it doesn't involve translating. Perhaps your client would be better off finding an audio typist. Transcription is very time-consuming (even in the one language), especially if you don't have the usual hardware such as a pedal for stopping and starting the audio etc. and I don't usually find that the rates agencies want to pay for transcription justify my doing that instead of translation work.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask to listen to the job before quoting Apr 3, 2013

May I suggest that you ask to listen to the audio and ascertain its quality and difficulty before you quote on the job? The quality of the audio and the accent of the speakers are critical factors here. Knowledge of the matter at hand is another important factor.

In any case, think that a 20 minute transcription can easily turn into 3 thousand words of text, and you can expect some 3-4 hours of work at a minimum for 20 minutes of audio, since you have to type it all and listen to the audio time and time again to make sure you typed everything correctly.

[Edited at 2013-04-03 10:07 GMT]

CRISDELUX  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the good advice! Apr 3, 2013

Hi,

Many thanks to all of you for the good advice.

I was doubting that I could do this as a translator, but the hic is they need to submit a certified text for the court.

But I now have a more clear idea what to do with the whole thing.

MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

)

KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
Use software and listen before quoting Apr 3, 2013

If you plan on taking on more transcription jobs, you might want to look into downloading some kind of transcription software to save time. (I use F4 and it works brilliantly.) However, do take into consideration that transcription is typically a very time-consuming task even when you're using software. Depending on audio quality and client requirements regarding detailedness of the transcript, transcription work has taken me between 3 and ~15 times the length of the audio file (and I'm a fast typist and experienced transcriptionist). Don't quote before you've heard what you're dealing with!

[Edited at 2013-04-03 13:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription rates in Spain

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search