Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 14:03
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 15, 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm facing some difficulties collecting payment from a London-based agency (£2139, 75 days late now). If they don't pay in the coming days I'm planning to contact a collection agency, so I'm looking for one in the UK. Any suggestions?

Alain

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxVasily Zvere  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:03
English to Russian
daniels silverman debt collection Apr 15, 2013

Hi Alain, try http://www.danielssilverman.co.uk/

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:03
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
One to avoid Apr 15, 2013

I have only once needed to use a debt collection agency and was recommended to one in the UK (for a French debt) which turned out to be pretty useless. I'd rather not name them here but will gladly tell you if you contact me privately.
Best of luck,
Jenny

Chiara Deaglio
Local time: 13:03
English to Italian
+ ...
I am also planning on using one... Apr 15, 2013

...since a notorious UK-based agency (not based in Scotland, nor in England, nor in Northern Ireland) owes me money since July 2012 and has never paid me a single penny nothwistanding umpteen promises to pay "as soon as possible".

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

[Edited at 2013-04-15 10:52 GMT]

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another very effective option Apr 16, 2013

Have you tried the 'winding up petition' strategy yet?

This is a UK mechanism and there is more information about this here:
https://www.gov.uk/wind-up-a-company-that-owes-you-money/overview

This is valid for debts of over 750 pounds so Alain's debt definitely qualifies.

First you have to make a statutory demand but I would suggest airing your thoughts with the culprit first (this tends to be VERY effective because it suggests that you are on the brink of closing their company and have already consulted a solicitor).

My suggestion would be to write to them and say that you have consulted a solicitor with regard to your debt and that your solicitor has recommended making a winding up petition and that since you would rather resolve this amicably, you have decided to give them up to X date (give them around 7 working days or so) prior to instructing your solicitor to commence proceedings.

I have several colleagues for whom this has worked with immediate effect so it's definitely worth a try.

Please also remember to share information on the agency's payment practices on the blue board. If you haven't already, you can also inform them that you will be keeping your colleagues informed of your progress with collecting your money with them. This may encourage them if they're motivated to maintain their reputation.
Later you can then edit your comment on the blue board by saying that 'after X months/reminders/posting this on the blue board, I was paid'.
Then your colleagues know what to do if they find themselves in the same situation.

I hope my suggestion works for you and you get your money!

Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:03
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Any such suggestions for Spain? Apr 17, 2013

Can anyone suggest a collection agency or petitons in Spain?
Two sleepless weeks and... nothing since 2011.

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spain Apr 17, 2013

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Can anyone suggest a collection agency or petitons in Spain?
Two sleepless weeks and... nothing since 2011.

Hi Inga,

In Spain you have the 'proceso monitorio'.
See: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proceso_monitorio

I would start by sending a burofax though if you haven't already. You can do this even if you're not in Spain on http://www.correos.es/contenido/01P-EnviarDoc/04-BuroFax/01P04-BuroFax.asp website.

I would detail the outstanding invoices and explain that if they remain unpaid 7 working days from the delivery of the burofax, you will "ejercitar todas las acciones legales oportunas contra su empresa, y en su defecto contra su persona" and then start the proceso monitorio if you haven't received payment by then.

Also make a note on the Blue Board if you haven't already and let them know you're sharing information on your progress with obtaining payment with your colleagues. If they care about their reputation, this may be enough.

I've often had payment problems with agencies based in Spain but they've always coughed up after some stimulation so I hope you get your money too. I think that 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil' is often the case in these situations.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a collection agency in the UK

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search