Content Creation Rates
Thread poster: David Friemann, MA

David Friemann, MA  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:44
English to German
Apr 19, 2013

Dear all,

my search of the forums did not return any results, so I thought I'd post this question to the community.
I am currently in the running for a project in which translators are supposed to creatively localize a game into their native language.
The task is relatively easy in itself: various icons from a set range of icons are combined and the result has to be guessed by the player. The translators will now have to think of terms, places, people/characters, etc., ideally with a connection to their own country, and try to express them by means of the icons, so players can guess them.
So far, so good. It's a lovely job and I've come up with quite a number of wonderful ideas. Now the client wants to know the fees per item and I have no idea how to calculate one.
Would it be too easy to say: I can come up with xx items per hour, and divide my hourly rate by that number?
I would be very grateful for suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
English to German
+ ...
It is called Transcreation Apr 19, 2013

I have charged any amount from US $0.26 per word for a British board game manufacturer to US $4.00 per word for fashion magazines.

The point is that you don't actually translate. You have to write (not invent!) it from scratch.

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
if only I had known... Apr 19, 2013

..."transcreation" yields a large number of results. I'll see what I can find there. Thank you for the swift reply, Nicole!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
English to German
+ ...
Hour or per term - you decide based on your experience and expertise. Apr 19, 2013

For one job I even hired a colleague just for brainstorming at US $100.00 / hour.

BTW: Never, ever consider such jobs "easy", simply because they don't require any technical or polysyllabic or otherwise really cool terms that are popular in the chemical industry, in the military or among French Chefs. That's naive.

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
nothing's easy, I know... Apr 19, 2013

Of course, I won't call any job easy until I am done with it. I was referring to the technical aspect of combining the icons into "riddles".
I will draw up a comprehensible rate scheme for the client and see if they go along with my suggestion.

[Edited at 2013-04-19 07:12 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Content removed by poster

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Content Creation Rates

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search