Thread poster: Christos S.
Christos S.
Christos S.
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:08
English to Albanian
+ ...
Sep 14, 2004

Should the rate between normal mobile manuals translations and mobile strings differ? Normaly the mobile string have some word quantity limitations etc. If a different rate should be charged as the second one is more time consuming what should the price difference be?

Thanks

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:08
The secret art of multiplication Sep 14, 2004

Do you know how much longer the second one takes? Just charge more accordingly. If it takes you 1.3 times as long, charge 1.3 times as much.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:08
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
manual translations vs. mobile string translations Sep 14, 2004

I don't want to be ignorant, but if I don't ask then I'll definately remain so. What is the difference?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Higher rate Sep 15, 2004

You should definitely charge a higher rate for mobile strings. The exact numbers are up to you.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
So, that's what this is all about... Sep 15, 2004

Now that I know what the difference is, I would agree with Norbert. But I doubt that you'll be successful in convincing your clients that there is a difference and that they should pay more for it.

Most of my translations are a mixture anyway.

If I were you and I could, I would try to raise my general price enough to cover the inconvenience of translating strings (it definately is more difficult than translating complete sentences) - so that it works out for you in the
... See more
Now that I know what the difference is, I would agree with Norbert. But I doubt that you'll be successful in convincing your clients that there is a difference and that they should pay more for it.

Most of my translations are a mixture anyway.

If I were you and I could, I would try to raise my general price enough to cover the inconvenience of translating strings (it definately is more difficult than translating complete sentences) - so that it works out for you in the long run.
Collapse

Andrei Albu
Andrei Albu
Romania
Local time: 21:08
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Charge by the hour and by source word Sep 15, 2004

I have been doing both mobile strings and manuals for a long time. For the former, I simply charge by the hour, and for the latter, by source word. It can be as simple as that, and clients usually do agree with this type of arrangement.

Cheers,
Andrei

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Clients usually offer different rates for that Sep 15, 2004

Hi,

From my own experience, and I have been working on User Interface Strings for a while, most clients offer different rates for this.

Whenever I translate UI strings rates are always higher because this work takes longer and you have to ask a lot of questions to the authors.

UI strings have no order whatsoever and have character restrictions so good and reliable agencies know this and pay for it accordingly.

All the best
Mónica Macha
... See more
Hi,

From my own experience, and I have been working on User Interface Strings for a while, most clients offer different rates for this.

Whenever I translate UI strings rates are always higher because this work takes longer and you have to ask a lot of questions to the authors.

UI strings have no order whatsoever and have character restrictions so good and reliable agencies know this and pay for it accordingly.

All the best
Mónica Machado
English into European Portuguese Translator
Member of IOL, APT and ITI
Collapse

MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
Higher charge for strings Sep 29, 2004

Hi,

I don't really translate strings myself, but I used to work for a translation agency, so I can give a bit of advice, I think. When translating manuals and strings, there are two scenarios

a) the client just wants the strings translated - no length restrictions specified

- the translator charges the same (or only a slightly higher) rate as for the manual. If the client later comes back and wants some of the strings shortened, the translator charges per
... See more
Hi,

I don't really translate strings myself, but I used to work for a translation agency, so I can give a bit of advice, I think. When translating manuals and strings, there are two scenarios

a) the client just wants the strings translated - no length restrictions specified

- the translator charges the same (or only a slightly higher) rate as for the manual. If the client later comes back and wants some of the strings shortened, the translator charges per hour.

b) the client wants the strings translated keeping within a certain length

- the translator's charge for the strings is higher than that for the manual

Obviously, I can't speak for all translators, but this is what the translators did I used to work with.

Hope this helps

Dydy
Collapse

Karelle Gilbert
Karelle Gilbert
German to French
+ ...
time estimation for string shortening Oct 11, 2004

Hi dydy,

I wonder if you can give more details on that topic. I'm now in the position of the translator who has to shorten the strings after translation from German into French. Beforehand the client request a time estimation by tomorrow morning... as usual

I have a wordcount of approx. 35000 in the target text and the restrictive word length varies nearly for each cell of the excell sheet. Can you indicate me a range??

Many thanks,
Karelle

Dydy wrote:

Hi,

- the translator charges the same (or only a slightly higher) rate as for the manual. If the client later comes back and wants some of the strings shortened, the translator charges per hour.

b) the client wants the strings translated keeping within a certain length

- the translator's charge for the strings is higher than that for the manual

Obviously, I can't speak for all translators, but this is what the translators did I used to work with.

Hope this helps

Dydy

MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
Hardly possible Oct 20, 2004

Hi Karelle,

Sorry, I've just seen your posting. I suppose I'm too late. Anyway, I don't think it is possible to estimate this. As you say the length restriction varies from cell to cell - and at the end of the day it's still supposed to make sense.

What I would do is take a page, shorten the translation as requested, then count the words of that page and then try and work out a rough estimate for the total wordcount.

Good luck

Dydy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for manual translations and mobile string translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »