Déborah Essers-Jansen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:19
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 23, 2013

Hi,

One of my clients asked me if I would be available to supervise an exam in the neighbourhood. She asks for my rate for this supervision task and my rate for the travel time (not travel costs). I have no experience in such tasks, so can someone advise me what rates are reasonable? Can I use the same hourly rate as I use for translation/proofreading or would that be ridiculous? Also, how do I calculate a rate for travel time?

Thanks!
Déborah

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Apr 23, 2013

Hi Déborah,

I have no experience with exam supervision but I would be inclined to charge my hourly rate for anything like this. The beauty of the hourly rate is that it's a rate that you're happy to get for the time it takes you to do something, regardless of what that something is.
I think that if I were to look at it from a client's point of view, I'd find it strange if someone charged different hourly rates for different things. It's the time I'd be paying for, not the thing done in that time.
I would simply start the clock running when leaving my house and stop the clock when I get back.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:19
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My 2 cents Apr 23, 2013

I've done this on a couple of occasions, when I was also working as an EFL teacher. I charged my hourly teaching rate, which was a fair bit higher than my translation/proofreading hourly rate. This was because I didn't charge for travel time and expenses separately, these were just an element in the hourly rate.

If anyone had asked me to give a lesson hundreds of miles away, I would have done what interpreters do i.e. charge for travel time, but it rarely amounted to an hour for the return journey. I liked getting out of the house and often used to stop off somewhere on the way back to do some non-work related activity (often shopping), so I was happier just increasing the hourly rate. Also, when supervising a long exam you can normally do a little work or some work-related reading, as long as you don't get engrossed in it and fail to notice that everyone is cheating!

But the bottom line is to be happy that you're being paid enough for the assignment.

Déborah Essers-Jansen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 24, 2013

I already thought it would make more sense to use one hourly rate, but I started to doubt as the client asked for separate rates. I'll just send her a proposal and let's see what happens. Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fee to supervise exam and travel costs

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search