Déborah Essers-Jansen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:43
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 23, 2013

Hi,

One of my clients asked me if I would be available to supervise an exam in the neighbourhood. She asks for my rate for this supervision task and my rate for the travel time (not travel costs). I have no experience in such tasks, so can someone advise me what rates are reasonable? Can I use the same hourly rate as I use for translation/proofreading or would that be ridiculous? Also, how do I calculate a rate for travel time?

Thanks!
Déborah

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Apr 23, 2013

Hi Déborah,

I have no experience with exam supervision but I would be inclined to charge my hourly rate for anything like this. The beauty of the hourly rate is that it's a rate that you're happy to get for the time it takes you to do something, regardless of what that something is.
I think that if I were to look at it from a client's point of view, I'd find it strange if someone charged different hourly rates for different things. It's the time I'd be paying for, not the thing done in that time.
I would simply start the clock running when leaving my house and stop the clock when I get back.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My 2 cents Apr 23, 2013

I've done this on a couple of occasions, when I was also working as an EFL teacher. I charged my hourly teaching rate, which was a fair bit higher than my translation/proofreading hourly rate. This was because I didn't charge for travel time and expenses separately, these were just an element in the hourly rate.

If anyone had asked me to give a lesson hundreds of miles away, I would have done what interpreters do i.e. charge for travel time, but it rarely amounted to an hour for the return journey. I liked getting out of the house and often used to stop off somewhere on the way back to do some non-work related activity (often shopping), so I was happier just increasing the hourly rate. Also, when supervising a long exam you can normally do a little work or some work-related reading, as long as you don't get engrossed in it and fail to notice that everyone is cheating!icon_smile.gif

But the bottom line is to be happy that you're being paid enough for the assignment.

Déborah Essers-Jansen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 24, 2013

I already thought it would make more sense to use one hourly rate, but I started to doubt as the client asked for separate rates. I'll just send her a proposal and let's see what happens. Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fee to supervise exam and travel costs

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search