Thread poster: Ditte Duclert

Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:12
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Apr 23, 2013

How much extra do you charge to translate a document (Excel file) of website content with HTML tags included? I can see on the file that it will take a lot of extra effort compared to a regular file.

I use Trados Studio 2009.

(I tried to search for this, but didn't manage to find any previous threads on the topic).

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
??? Apr 23, 2013

Ditte Duclert wrote:

How much extra do you charge to translate a document (Excel file) of website content with HTML tags included? I can see on the file that it will take a lot of extra effort compared to a regular file.

I use Trados Studio 2009.

(I tried to search for this, but didn't manage to find any previous threads on the topic).

Thanks in advance!

What is "regular" for you? I prefer to translate Html as Word files.

Regards

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
HTML Apr 23, 2013

The only right way to process HTML is notepad.exe or, by way of indulgence, Notepad+.

If you need word count or character count, I'd try to negotiate with the client or just ask the client what the client considers appropriate in the situation (and no self-respecting client will say "50% off"), explaining, if necessary, that manual removal to enable an automatic word count or character count would be too bothersome.

If you're a geek, you can get a web account, save the Excel stuff to a .txt file and run the PHP striptags function on it (although a webpage editor might have some useful functions; I don't know since I code by hand).

Fernando Noreña
Colombia
Local time: 10:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Surcharge for HTML tags Apr 24, 2013

I once received an excel file which contained a column with the complete html tagged text in english, and ws asket to translate it to spanish. Needless say, since the syntax is different, no CAT will do a good job. Nw, being myself a systems engineer, I could "assemble" the correct sentences in Spanish, and apply the tags to the significant sections as per the English tags. At the end of the job, I charged a 50% surcharge for "HTML tag editing", instead of just translating. If you don't know HTML, read some tagged text, and you'll "get the grip" of it. It's really not that complicated, but you need to be very careful.

Another thing you might consider, is the extra time required to do such a job, in contrast to just translating text, plus... aided with a CAT software. You might find it's just not worth the time if you don't have the background.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge for document with HTML tags

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search