https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/248144-payment_term_for_translation.html

Payment term for translation
Thread poster: Thu Nguyen
Thu Nguyen
Thu Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:45
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 2, 2013

Hi there,

I'm going to sign a Supplier Agreement, of which the payment term is specified "within 60 days from receipt of the invoice...." is that term too long? Should I revise to "within 30 days...or other number? How is your payment be made? Thanks very much!

Hana BenSaoud

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:45
Finnish to English
Practices seem to vary according to country May 2, 2013

In my experience, the fastest payers are in the Nordic countries and the slowest are in southern Europe.

I don't know about countries in Asia, but agencies in the EU often flout EU laws on the payment of invoices. I think a month to six weeks is common in the UK. 60 days is too long, but it may be that the relationship will prove lucrative.

I would try for 30 first and see what they say.

Hana BenSaoud

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A translation May 2, 2013

"Within 60 days" will mean that you will probably get your money in no less than 60 days, so if you can agree with the customer to shorten the payment term to 30 days, it would be better for you. 30 days is more than an ample time to arrange payment for any project, in my opinion.

Hana BenSaoud

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:45
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
30 Days May 2, 2013

I would go with 30 days, too. I think 60 days is way too long.

Hana BenSaoud

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You're at the mercy of the client's accountant May 2, 2013

Nguyen Thu wrote:
I'm going to sign a Supplier Agreement, of which the payment term is specified "within 60 days from receipt of the invoice...." is that term too long? Should I revise to "within 30 days...or other number?

In terms of the laws of the country that I currently live in, my invoice says "30 days", but I know that the majority of my clients don't pay when my invoice says but when their accountant says.

60 days does seem long, and the sad thing is that it can be interpreted in many ways. It could mean "60 days after the date of the invoice" or it could mean "60 days after the end of the current payment cycle" (and if they have a 30 day payment cycle and your invoice arrives two days after the payment cycle, you'll get your money after [60+(30-2)] days.

If you're quite lucky, the "60 days" mentioned in their contract is simply a way to limit their liability for in case they are unable to pay sooner, even though they usually do. However, my belief is that if an agency's agreement itself says "60 days", then you must know what kind of agency you're dealing with and simply either accept their work or not accept it.

A long payment period doesn't say anything about whether they pay promptly, though. Some 60-dayers and 90-dayers pay very, very promptly... after 60 or 90 days.

Hana BenSaoud

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's an agreement between two parties May 2, 2013

As with everything when you're a business owner doing business with another business, it's all to do with what you agree with the other business.
There is not an industry standard as such although there are certain rules in Europe that companies have to abide by but often don't. I have clients who pay immediately, at 30 days, at 45 days and at 60 days (and some others who only pay once I've chased them) and I keep a list of the agencies and their payment terms that I can consult quickly.
... See more
As with everything when you're a business owner doing business with another business, it's all to do with what you agree with the other business.
There is not an industry standard as such although there are certain rules in Europe that companies have to abide by but often don't. I have clients who pay immediately, at 30 days, at 45 days and at 60 days (and some others who only pay once I've chased them) and I keep a list of the agencies and their payment terms that I can consult quickly. I don't mind when they pay (to a degree), as long as they pay when they say they do and don't cause me work chasing them up.
If there are several agencies asking me if I'm available for a task though, and one pays at 30 days, one at 45 and one at 60, I will first respond to the one who pays at 30.
Collapse

Hana BenSaoud

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
In EU... May 2, 2013

If your client is in EU this website: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/single-market-goods/fighting-late-payments/ could be of interest for you, especially these lines:

"The new Directive 2011/7/EU

The new Directive will have to be transposed into national law by 16 March 2013 at the latest.

The provisions of
... See more
If your client is in EU this website: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/single-market-goods/fighting-late-payments/ could be of interest for you, especially these lines:

"The new Directive 2011/7/EU

The new Directive will have to be transposed into national law by 16 March 2013 at the latest.

The provisions of the new directive include, among others:

Harmonisation of period for payment by public authorities to businesses: Public authorities will have to pay for the goods and services that they procure within 30 days or, in very exceptional circumstances, within 60 days.
Contractual freedom in businesses commercial transactions: Enterprises will have to pay their invoices within 60 days, unless they expressly agree otherwise and if it is not grossly unfair.
Enterprises will automatically be entitled to claim interest for late payment and will also be able to obtain a minimum fixed amount of €40 as a compensation for recovery costs. They can claim compensation for all remaining reasonable recovery costs.
The statutory Interest rate for late payment will be increased to at least 8 percentage points above the European Central Bank’s reference. Public authorities are not allowed to fix an interest rate for late payment below.

Member States may continue to maintain or to bring into force laws and regulations which are more favourable to the creditor than the provisions of the new Directive."

Though unfortunately this does not mean all clients will act accordingly...
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
To be agreed on May 3, 2013

Although it seems to be understood that no more than 30 days of date of invoice are the standard payment terms, it is the "norm" in many Asian countries to pay after 60 days, at the earliest. So these payment terms of 1 to 14 days after date of invoice are rare exceptions.

Receiving payment after 60 or even 90 days is perhaps not all such a "nightmare", provided the agency/client pay on time.

Thu Nguyen
Thu Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:45
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you May 3, 2013

Thank all for valuable and informative comments. Actually, this is my first time agreement so I'm not yet familiar with the client. I think in the future if this becomes a long-lasting and trustworthy relationship for both then the time-shortening agreement will be considered more easily.

Thank very much again for all your sharing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment term for translation

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »