Over the phone interpreting rates - feedback needed
Thread poster: Evgenia M Attebery

Evgenia M Attebery  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
English to Russian
May 9, 2013

Hi everyone! I've never done over the phone interpreting and I don't know what rate is a good one.
The company that contacted me is offering a standard rate in my language pair (EN-RU) of $0.40/min of actual talk time with a minimum of 6 hours a week. Is it too cheap? Basically for 5 min of interpreting I will get paid only $2 and it would come out only to $24/hour. Doesn't look like it's a good price. I usually charge $50-$60/hr for a face-to-face interpreting. Should I treat it the same way?

I will appreciate any help.

Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Rates in Germany May 9, 2013

Hi Evgenia,

I do interpreting over the phone for a German company, they pay me 0,65€ and 0,75€ per minute, with a minimum retribution of 15 minutes for each phone call (if it is shorter than that, they pay for 15 minutes anyway, if it is longer, they pay by the minute).

I do not know standard rates in Germany, for example, but I collaborate with them because I like their system which is very convenient and flexible for me.

Sorry that I am so short now, but it was only to give you another example.

Best regards,

Agnes

Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Direct clients May 9, 2013

Forgot to tell you:

I sometimes do interpretation over the phone for one of my direct clients for whom I usually do regular (presencial) interpreting as well. I charge him exactly the same as I do when I am there personally. It takes the same time, so I charge exactly the same (minus travel expenses).

Regards,

Agnes

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:04
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Too low May 9, 2013

Hi Evgenia,

The amount is too low. In Brazil for a private company I work for they pay USD 200 1:30min.
Of course, we know Translation agencies will pay less, but not that much.
Good luck

Paulinho Fonseca

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Too low May 9, 2013

The rate you mentioned is too low, it should be about double than that.

Evgenia M Attebery  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2013

I had a feeling it was too low, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me being greedyicon_smile.gif

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Over the phone interpreting rates - feedback needed

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search