https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/249130-rate_setting_question_for_agency_staff_outsourcers.html

Rate-setting question for agency staff/outsourcers
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:18
English to Polish
+ ...
May 16, 2013

Thank you for sparing me a moment of your time. I'm wondering if there are any approximate, intuitive guidelines for setting rates between the agency and the translator in reference to the agency's standard posted fees for its end clients? And yes, I know some agencies put stress on the mark-up while others on the turnover, so this is a bit hard to assess. Basically, I'm looking for some kind of Aristotelian golden middle where both are earning and both are reasonably happy, with minimum tension... See more
Thank you for sparing me a moment of your time. I'm wondering if there are any approximate, intuitive guidelines for setting rates between the agency and the translator in reference to the agency's standard posted fees for its end clients? And yes, I know some agencies put stress on the mark-up while others on the turnover, so this is a bit hard to assess. Basically, I'm looking for some kind of Aristotelian golden middle where both are earning and both are reasonably happy, with minimum tension in the relationship.

Bonus question: I believe that an agency should pass urgency bonuses to the translator and CAT discounts to the client unless those are the only areas where the agency gets any decent mark-up (which is sometimes the case, and it's obviously different then), and I feel bad about our relationship when the opposite is true. I'm also somewhat partial to the idea of my rates varying in accordance with how the agency's negotiations go with the end client, which sometimes results in: "I'll take X but please try to negotiate Y if possible." This is something I sometimes mention when I sense I can be somewhat open with the agency worker. From an agency's point of view, how should a translator communicate this without appearing to intrude on the agency's internal ground?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate-setting question for agency staff/outsourcers

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »