Did a big job, could not get payment!!
Thread poster: JeromeTrans

JeromeTrans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:53
May 17, 2013

We did a large project in last christmas, but have not received money for more than half year!!

We did 3 parts of the work, we received the first 2 parts' payment after one month of invoicing, and then we thought the parterner has good credit, did good comment in his blue board, he replied very soon, then so far we have not received the 3rd part's payment.

After emails, the funny thing happens that we received an email form he "we will pay you tomorrow, because the client has confirmed to pay me", the other day, he replies that the files we did was from google... will not pay us...

Any way if he can prove that it is, we will take the responsbility for that, we can accept even he gives us discount or refuse to pay. but funny thing is that he has sent me 3 times of the "evidence" which are not belong to us to prove we had translation problems.

Actually I know the key of this problem, is that he got a samll part of the large case, but then other translator did a bad job, it leads the client refuse to pay him...

I've checked the blue board of him, but it is unable to edit the comment...

Could any body who kindly help me about this?

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
where is your client based? May 17, 2013

The methods available to you for obtaining payment from a non-paying client differ depending on the jurisdiction so it's important to tell us where your client is based.

First of all though, I would always start by sending a registered letter (if you've tried telephone calls and e-mail already and it's clear that the client is not acting in good faith).

I would make the heading of this letter 'Final Reminder for Payment' and then write a text along these lines:

Dear [...]

The payment deadline for the invoice issued by [...] dated [...] for the amount [...] having expired on [...] according to [...for example: Directive 2000/35/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 June 2000 on combating late payment in commercial transactions], we hereby inform you that according to our records, this payment has not yet been received.

If you have already made this payment upon receipt of this letter, please ignore this letter and accept our apologies.

If you have not yet made this payment upon receipt of this letter, please proceed to make this payment within the next 7 (seven) working days.

Should payment not be received to our account (number: [...]) by this date, we shall be obliged to commence legal action to recover this payment.

Please do not hesitate to contact us concerning this matter on: [...]

This will at least show you are serious. You'd be surprised at how well a lawyer type letter works in these cases.

Someone should be able to help you with editing your blue board comment. I'm sure this is possible and it may also help you get payment if the client sees that you are keeping your colleagues informed about this.

In future, it's perhaps best not to enter a blue board record until you have had several jobs paid on time from a client but you've probably figured that out by now!

Good luck!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a good business partner May 17, 2013

JeromeTrans wrote:
We did 3 parts of the work, we received the first 2 parts' payment after one month of invoicing, and then we thought the parterner has good credit, did good comment in his blue board, he replied very soon, then so far we have not received the 3rd part's payment.

Then their Blueboard record is clearly deceiving. Post an entry in the Blueboard with a low rating so that others know that this is a risky business partner to deal with. Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2013-05-17 12:31 GMT]

JeromeTrans  Identity Verified
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Helene May 17, 2013

Thanks a lot for the letter you provide, I will try next week, because client said will get back to me next Mondy. If he still use some excuse to me, I will try to use this letter.

And this client is in Lithuania. People from here seems has a good reputation...

kok seng loh
Chinese to English
+ ...
legal action May 19, 2013

I am wondering what legal action is possible even when the amount is small and the agency is not in the same country as the translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did a big job, could not get payment!!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search