Thread poster: kalisi
kalisi
United States
Local time: 05:44
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2013

Hello everyone,
This might be a silly question that I should ask at a bank or something. But you seem like a friendly community so I thought I'd try:
I am new to online business, and have never bought, sold or paid anything online. I always used checks or cash. Now I am wondering: how does this online payment work? I have a debit card. How does one use a debit card online?
Thank you in advance.
God bless,
Kalisi

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What specifically do you want to do? Jun 2, 2013

Are you wanting to get paid for your translations? Or is it something not related to translation?

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:44
Italian to English
Simple Jun 2, 2013

Hi Kalisi

An online company or trader that accepts card payments will ask you to input your details. Before doing so, check that it is a secure page (a URL beginning https and / or a lock symbol at the foot of the page).

They will normally ask you to input your name, as it appears on the card, the card number, date of expiry, sometimes date valid from and the CVC (Card Verification Code - last 3 numbers on the back of the card).

They may also ask for your address, telephone number and / or e-mail address.

When you confirm, there may be a further authorisation stage when your bank asks you to input some of the same information and / or a password (which they will ask you to specify the first time you use the card online). The money is then debited from your bank account.

HTH

[Edited at 2013-06-02 13:43 GMT]

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:44
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

You are located in the US? Jun 2, 2013

Hello,

Your message says that that you want to be paid, that is, to be able to receive money. Since you appear to be located in the US, as I am, you have a number of options, some better than others. But, in any case, you will need to take some preliminary steps to set things up.

If the outsourcer who is paying you is also located in the US, a check is the best way to get paid, so that's pretty simple.

Many outsourcers of jobs located in Europe are accustomed to making payments via bank transfer. That's fine, if you do a big job for one of them, but the charges that go with bank transfers are invariable, no matter what size the amount of the payment, so a $35.00 payment may be less than the charges for the transfer. You need other options for those small payments, whether they're coming from Europe or more far flung places.

When I first started translating I set up a PayPal account for such payments. It took a bit of a while to get everything processed (if I recall correctly, it took several days, not weeks), so you would do well to get your PayPal account in place. PayPal works nicely for those small payments, but since it charges a percentage, you could lose a lot of money for bigger payments.

You might want to take a look at some of the articles in the ProZ Knowledgebase about getting established. See Getting Established

[Edited at 2013-06-02 14:26 GMT]

kalisi
United States
Local time: 05:44
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answers Jun 7, 2013

Wow, I was amazed that you answered so fast, and were all so helpful! Thank you for all your replies, they are quite helpful. I hope we will get to know each other better in the future.
God bless,
Kalisi

xxxnrichy
France
Local time: 12:44
French to Dutch
+ ...
And... Jun 7, 2013

Maybe a silly answer, but don't forget to send an invoice to your client.
(on this invoice you mention your bank details).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another silly answer Jun 7, 2013

Please also remember that any income you make has to be declared in your taxes. You do not want unwelcome surprises from the IRS... Working over Internet does not mean that you don't have to pay taxes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I get paid?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search