Rates of a similar translated text (just 3 new sentences)
Thread poster: María Carda

María Carda  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 2, 2013

Hello. On March I translated a text (500 words) for a client. Yesterday the same client asked me to translate another text. The problem is that it is the same text, with three new sentences. How much would you charge for it? Would you make a discount? If so, which percentage? Or would you charge a minimum of, for example, 20€?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Contact the client Jun 2, 2013

I would contact the client and point out that it's the same text. If the client has already paid for the previous translation, I would just translate the additional 3 sentences for free. If the invoice has not been paid, you could send them a revised version with the additional words added. I would definitely not translate or charge for the entire text again.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:21
English to German
+ ...
I had a similar case last week. Jun 3, 2013

The client needed three additional lines for product packaging (about 25 words in total). I simply added US $25.00 as a flat fee to the previous job and the customer adjusted the PO. Worked out nicely for both of us.

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
I agree with previous posters Jun 3, 2013

I would charge only a minimum fee as well.

The risk of charging only the word rate is that the client may think that the translation is the only job that takes time. Most jobs still need to be registered, invoiced and require at least basic file and version management.

[Edited at 2013-06-03 06:59 GMT]

Mariela Donvito
Member (2010)
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
I agree with Tina Jun 3, 2013

If the invoice has not been paid yet I would add the additional cost for the new sentences. If the client has already paid, then I would just translate the three sentences for free.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Either Jun 3, 2013

I would charge a minimum fee or add the 3 sentences to the next invoice (in case there will be one). If it's a good client and the invoice hasn't been paid yet, inform the client that these 3 sentences are "on the house".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
All for free Jun 3, 2013

If it is a good customer or you think they could be a promising customer in the long run, I would report the situation and would give them the translations of the three sentences for free. Every good customer appreciates a little freebie every now and than, as surely happens to you when you get a little extra at some shop you regularly go to.

njweatherdon
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
probably 0 Jun 3, 2013

If there are numerous small changes, then I have to pick through the text carefully and I apply the lower of my maximum hourly rate and my word rate on the entire text.

In the case of 3 new sentences with everything else exactly the same, I'd either translate it for free for clients who tend to make my life easier or alternatively invoice a minimum administrative charge (which would be very expensive for 3 sentences).

United States
English to German
+ ...
Why for free? Jun 3, 2013

I often translate individual lines or a few single words at no charge - when they were sent by the client embedded in an email and the translation is returned the same way without any new files involved.

In this case, however, the original poster had to comb through a two months old translation to determine that only three sentences were new. She still has to set up a new file with a new file name, probably reformat the text depending on where those three sentences were hiding and send the text as a whole. Without her proactive thinking and her excellent memory, nobody would have noticed the similarity with an older translation job in the first place.

Why would you offer this service for free? Even a copy shop charges a set-up fee, and a small flat fee already is a discount.

Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
LIKE Jun 5, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I often translate individual lines or a few single words at no charge - when they were sent by the client embedded in an email and the translation is returned the same way without any new files involved.

In this case, however, the original poster had to comb through a two months old translation to determine that only three sentences were new. She still has to set up a new file with a new file name, probably reformat the text depending on where those three sentences were hiding and send the text as a whole. Without her proactive thinking and her excellent memory, nobody would have noticed the similarity with an older translation job in the first place.

Why would you offer this service for free? Even a copy shop charges a set-up fee, and a small flat fee already is a discount.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Combing through Jun 5, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
In this case, however, the original poster had to comb through a two months old translation to determine that only three sentences were new.

I don't read that in the original poster's description of the situation. Coming through sounds like cumbersome work, but she seems to have noticed the difference quite quickly, or that is what I understood.

Jane Proctor  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Absolutely Jun 5, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I would contact the client and point out that it's the same text. If the client has already paid for the previous translation, I would just translate the additional 3 sentences for free. If the invoice has not been paid, you could send them a revised version with the additional words added. I would definitely not translate or charge for the entire text again.

A professional approach...

United States
English to German
+ ...
Professional... Jun 6, 2013

Jane Proctor wrote:

Tina Vonhof wrote:

The original poster never mentioned any intention of charging in full for the entire word count.

Giving services away at no charge, however, is far from being professional - provided that you are not running a charity, a soup kitchen or a non-profit organization. My doctor happens to charge me for any second and any consecutive visits just the same, no matter if the pesky virus is still the same.

Jane Proctor  Identity Verified
France
French to English
The word "goodwill" comes to mind Jun 6, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jane Proctor wrote:

Tina Vonhof wrote:

The original poster never mentioned any intention of charging in full for the entire word count.

Giving services away at no charge, however, is far from being professional - provided that you are not running a charity, a soup kitchen or a non-profit organization. My doctor happens to charge me for any second and any consecutive visits just the same, no matter if the pesky virus is still the same.

Not all clients merit it (goodwill) but I'm sure the original poster is savvy enought to be the best judge in this case. The same principle can be applied to cancelled projects which has been discussed in other threads.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates of a similar translated text (just 3 new sentences)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search