Thread poster: manue G

manue G  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:40
Member (2012)
English to French
Jun 13, 2013

Hi

I've been asked to translate a birth certificate into French. What sort of rate do you apply to translate this type of document?
Regards
Emmanuelle

Direct link Reply with quote

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:40
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. Jun 13, 2013

Probably about $35-$50, if it is one page with a certification.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:40
English to German
+ ...
From which language? Jun 13, 2013

American ones can be extremely wordy...

manue G  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
source language Jun 13, 2013

From UK English into French

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Minimum rate Jun 13, 2013

When I do them (from Russian into English), it usually works out below my minimum rate, so I charge that - plus solicitor's fee for an affidavit if required.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:40
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hate doing these kinds of jobs... Jun 13, 2013

so I charge a minimum fee of $100.00 unless it is for a quick-paying agency that sends me lots of (longer) work and then I lower it to a minimum of $50.00.

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:40
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the volume. Jun 13, 2013

I usually charge 1.00 to 1.10 EUR per line + 10 to 12 EUR certification fee + VAT.

If the text is not lengthy you can charge a minimum fee (e. g. 30 EUR).

Gudrun

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:10
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
My rate for certificates Jun 13, 2013

Like Jeff, I hate to translate these things, there is nothing creative involved and often the source is a poorly scanned image file which is barely legible.

I charge a flat 35 USD for these. In my case the direction is usually from Hindi or Gujarati to English. This also happens to be my minimum charge.

I do not provide certification of my translation.

ExScientiaVera  Identity Verified
Faroe Islands
Danish to English
+ ...
Standard fee for template translations Jun 13, 2013

I will charge below my rate if I already have a template I translated. Otherwise, because of the formatting, I need a little extra value before taking a job, for example, a promise for future work.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:40
English to Polish
+ ...
Normal per page Jun 13, 2013

Normal per page unless I had to spend a lot of time formatting, but formatting is easy to work your way out of if you're a sworn translator stamping things.

Since I believe in involving clients, giving them choice and so on, and I really don't mind being unorthodox, I might very well tell a client that he can invest his time, pay for my time or pay for someone else's time. Just not have my time free of charge really, unless I were assisting someone with a disability or one of the few remaining people who are not familiar with computers.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
$45 Jun 13, 2013

I usually charge about $45 per page, or a little more if the original is really hard to read. These are my bread and butter, while they're not as exciting as some other projects, there is a constant need for them. And, as ExScientiaVera has already stated, if you have a template already made for that particular form, you can save a lot of time and energy.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here Jun 15, 2013

A fairly large part of my work consists of certified personal documents. I charge a flat rate of CAD $40 for most 1-page documents but will bring it down to $30 if there is hardly anything to translate or if two people from the same family have a very similar document. Birth certificates vary widely in format, even from the same country.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for birth certificate translation

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search