Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
8 Euro per page??? You must be kidding... (questioning low-priced job posting)
Thread poster: Pablo Martínez (X)
Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 04:50
English to German
+ ...
Dear Company Sep 28, 2004

I would be very interested in this assignment...............ect. I just would like to point out that there was a little mistake in your posting. You offered 8 Euro per page instead of 8 Euro per word, we all make mistakes sometimes. Im sure proz. will let you post again.

Have a greeaaaaaaaat day.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
German to English
+ ...
8 Euro per page??? You must be kidding... Sep 28, 2004

pma wrote:

0.10 Euro might be a low rate in some cases -probably in your country- I really don't know, but not extremely low, I guess.

It depends upon a number of factors: the type of text, of course, but also the language used for the count - some languages are more wordy than others. 0.10 is probably not extremely low, no, but certainly towards the bottom of the range I would consider reasonable (for agencies, and assuming that English is used for the word count).

We cannot fight the laws of the market.

I read this frequently here on Proz.com, and find it intriguing. Isn't "you get what you pay for" also a law of the market? If you want a good translation, aren't you going to have to pay someone a reasonable price for it? People seem quick to assume that the 0.02 (or 0.04, or 0.08) eurocents they are charging is a function of the vast army of alternative suppliers and the miserliness of customers. They seem much less willing to concede that they are incapable of convincing their clients of the value of their work, or that they lack the skills needed to meet the standards of more demanding customers who would be quite willing in principle to pay 0.15 or more per word.

Marc

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
8 euro per page low? How about USD 5 per page?! Sep 29, 2004

If you think 8 euro per page is low, check out this recent job posting at http://www.proz.com/job/63302.

This Dutch agency offers USD 5-7 per page for translation, USD 3 for proofreading and USD 5 per hour for teaching!

That would mean sth. like EUR 0.016-0.022 per word?

I cannot possibly imagine that an agency, esp. a Dutch agency, would even consider offering such r
... See more
If you think 8 euro per page is low, check out this recent job posting at http://www.proz.com/job/63302.

This Dutch agency offers USD 5-7 per page for translation, USD 3 for proofreading and USD 5 per hour for teaching!

I cannot possibly imagine that an agency, esp. a Dutch agency, would even consider offering such rates to their clients.
Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe Sep 29, 2004

vixen wrote:

I cannot possibly imagine that an agency, esp. a Dutch agency, would even consider offering such rates to their clients.

a Dutch agency based in the Bahamas, or India, or whatever?

Bernadette Mora
Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
5 USD? Are you pulling my leg? Sep 29, 2004

Cleaning ladies normally receive 8-10 € per hour. I think that if rates become lower and lower, I will change business!

Regards,

Bernadette

Nicolette_ wrote:

vixen wrote:

a Dutch agency based in the Bahamas, or India, or whatever?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

8 Euro per page??? You must be kidding... (questioning low-priced job posting)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »