The lower rate limit has been reached !
Thread poster: Philippe Etienne

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:34
English to French
Jun 25, 2013

Hello there,

In this "money matters" section, we often see posts about low rates from the jobs board.
Now I have realised that the "market" has a lower rate limit, below which almost nobody will step forward to get the job.

Indeed, I think we've reached the lower limit in terms of price/requirements ratio:

Two recent job postings for sizeable translations required superb writing skills, massive experience in electrical engineering, the ubiquitous Trados (sold by the barrel and flooding the market on TGB) and almost full availability given the lead time required. In my first reading of this ad, this looked like a serious offer, from sensible people emphasising quality.
But this package is worth EUR0.04/word according to the poster. Besides, they clearly expect that only translators who are ok with the rate should quote.

I've been monitoring the bid count, and I am surprised (relieved?) to see that only resp. 4 and 6 colleagues have quoted so far. Usually, the same kind of very restrictive offers, but without rates stated or with "higher" rates, get between 20 and 30 replies within a few hours.

So I assume most translators with such qualities couldn't care less about such offers: they can ask - and get - an awful lot more than 0.04, and work full-time.

Maybe the poster will find out by themselves. Or not.

Philippe

Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Not the lower! Jun 25, 2013

A few days ago there was a posting for a huge project in IT. I don´t recall the rate being posted.

I sent my CV and got a reply with and offer: as it was a big project (100.000 words), the were offering a rate of .....

0.01 USD!!!!!!!!!!

I of course didn´t bother replying.....

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Seriously? Jun 25, 2013

I think I saw a 0.02 per word offer the other week.

Nothing shocks me anymore. Ignore and move on.icon_smile.gif

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not a rate issue as such Jun 25, 2013

It's the gap between rate and requirements, which, for this particular offer, didn't raise much interest among proz.com users. My point was mostly to highlight the fact that when this gap is too wide, the bidding stops or slows down significantly.

So there might be some lower limit below which outsourcers are unlikely to have their expectations met, if only because there are no bidders.
Noelia Ruiz Pérez wrote:
...big project (100.000 words), the were offering a rate of .....

0.01 USD!!!!!!!!!!...

$500 a month at cruising speed, how's that?
Diana Coada, BA RPSI wrote:
...Nothing shocks me anymore. Ignore and move on.icon_smile.gif

I'm rather amused.
Hats off if they manage to get what they want within their budget!

Philippe

Sigrid Andersen  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
My reply to those offers Jun 26, 2013

I started replying something along the lines of the following text to those offers:

Thank you for your offer. As I can see from your budget, this job is a machine translation job only, as the rate clearly indicates, that no proper translation should be done. For the above mentioned rate I will be happy to throw this through google translate for you, please note that no further proof reading or editing can be done with the offered budget. If you are happy with the mentioned terms please send a purchase order, remember you are accepting my terms and conditions.

of course nooone ever gets back, but hey, I have a bit of fun and maybe they realize how ridiculous the rate is.

KateKaminski
Local time: 04:34
German to English
That explains why they get responses Jun 26, 2013

Sigrid Andersen wrote:

I started replying something along the lines of the following text to those offers:

Thank you for your offer. As I can see from your budget, this job is a machine translation job only, as the rate clearly indicates, that no proper translation should be done.

This is good to know. I am always concerned to see that people have responded to these low-paid job offers. Hopefully all of the responses are like yours.icon_biggrin.gif

Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Another one today Jun 26, 2013

Yes, another one today!
They were looking for:
We are looking for experienced English to Spanish translators from Spain with education in Computer sciences. Translators having experience in translation of IT industry can apply with best rates.

I replied, as I have lots of experience in IT, and their reply was:

Thank you for your mail. We are talking of huge volume translation of 4 lakhs 50 thousand (4,50,000) words at 0.01 USD per word.
If interested please find attached sample file for translation from English to Spanish. Kindly confirm receipt and send us the translated file as soon as possible.

I, of course, replied that for that price I imagined that they were not looking for professional translators, but for machine translation and that I very much doubted that they will find anyone in Spain willing to work for free....

Amazing!

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
Just wait Jun 26, 2013

...until we start seeing 0.005 USD per word.

Although to make it look less shocking, it will probably be formatted something like "0.01 USD per 2 words"

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Low rates & the "fine print" Jun 26, 2013

There seem to bee plenty of "generous" job offers floating around for those who have nothing to do and definitely don't take the profession seriously.

The other day I saw a job offer on another site which seemed to be slightly within a decent rate range. At least at first glance.

The field was mechanical engineering, the rate offered was USD 0.06 per source word.
Compared to the USD 0.01/word offers this appeared to be a "high" rate.

But... reading the "fine print" I soon realized that it was paying even less than the USD 0.01 jobs.

Requirements were:

1. translation of the text, including all charts and tables
2. creation of a TM to be handed over to the outsourcer (of course Trados only)
3. alignment of all charts in accordance with the original (printed brochure)
4. formatting the translation to be ready-to-print
5. double proof-reading, also by another professional translator
6. where necessary, insert/complete additional text (whatever that means)
7. Source format: PDF
8. Delivery format: Word document and also in PPT format

Delivery date of the 12.200 (some words) within 3 days.

I didn't even bother to reply.

[Edited at 2013-06-26 12:26 GMT]

AnthonyLee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:34
Russian to English
+ ...
Reply to low-baller. Jul 7, 2013

Sigrid, Thank you. That is a perfect response to low-balling rates.

Using your suggestion, I replied in similar manner to someone offering $0.01 per source word (minus repetitions) for a 19000 word project. (26 pages), with payment in 30 days. This may sound harsh, however, I hope it will be a long while before someone decides to take that project (at that rate).

[Edited at 2013-07-07 12:51 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Good one! Jul 8, 2013

Sigrid Andersen wrote:

Thank you for your offer. As I can see from your budget, this job is a machine translation job only, as the rate clearly indicates, that no proper translation should be done. For the above mentioned rate I will be happy to throw this through google translate for you, please note that no further proof reading or editing can be done with the offered budget. If you are happy with the mentioned terms please send a purchase order, remember you are accepting my terms and conditions.

of course nooone ever gets back, but hey, I have a bit of fun and maybe they realize how ridiculous the rate is.

Thanks, Sigrid. Hope you don't mind if I pick up on your idea.

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
17K for 70K job Jul 8, 2013

and what about the job posted-please see it is a 17 translation job, but in reality, it is 70k, so quote accordingly-if you please, from one of the usual job posters. Means that there are a lot of repetitions for which you will not be paid, so state only the minimum possible quote per word as usual. This is from a well-known outsourcer, but other outsourcers, some even in rich EU countries expect the same rate. People apply, but I have come to the conclusion they are not worth a bother, so not many job posts

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The lower rate limit has been reached !

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search