Japanese>English Translation (Japanese Word count/ English word count)
Thread poster: svidyaj
svidyaj
svidyaj
India
Local time: 02:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2013

Dear All,

I have come across clients who pay us translators either in terms of Japanese character count or target word count or just pay as per the number of words shown in the source Japanese document.

Recently I have come across a client (prompt payer), who is giving me software specification documents to translate.
They say they are going to pay me only for the translated Japanese text (Ok, understood makes sense).

As the Japanese source document c
... See more
Dear All,

I have come across clients who pay us translators either in terms of Japanese character count or target word count or just pay as per the number of words shown in the source Japanese document.

Recently I have come across a client (prompt payer), who is giving me software specification documents to translate.
They say they are going to pay me only for the translated Japanese text (Ok, understood makes sense).

As the Japanese source document contains some English words here and there and also software programming codes they said I will be paid based on the number of words obtained from the difference between the word count in the source document and target document.

Ex:

Source: Japanese document 41,000 Japanese characters; approx. 18000 words (as per MS word)

Target (After translation): Approx. 10000 words

They say they will pay me= 18000 - 10000= 8000 words * charges per word.

Though for the current project the difference in the amount calculated from my side is varying +/-20%, just wanted to know if this a valid formula to calculate the actual amount of translation I have done?

Does this mean that the lesser number of words I reflect in my target translation the more I will be paid??

I am not sure if this a usual practice in the industry.

(They are ready to give me long term work, but say that this cannot be negotiated, PLEASE HELP)

[Edited at 2013-06-29 13:26 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese>English Translation (Japanese Word count/ English word count)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »