Thread poster: Charlotte Farrell

Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:52
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2013

Do any UK residents have experience with filling in a W8 form for an American client? It's a form that I think is basically meant to show that you're not eligible to pay withholding tax in the US. I'm not too sure what to put in the following section:

The beneficial owner is claiming the provisions of Article _____ of the treaty identified on line 9a above to claim a __% rate of withholding on (specify type of income): __________ Explain the reasons the beneficial owner meets the terms of the treaty article:______________

I've had a look through the treaty available on the HMRC website here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxtreaties/in-force/usa.pdf but am unsure what applies to me as a sole trader. Perhaps article 7?

Can you also get away without entering a tax number under point 6?

Any help from anyone who has experience with this form would be greatly appreciated!

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:22
English to Hindi
+ ...
I left this clause blank Jul 6, 2013

Anyone who is not a citizen of the US and who is being paid from the US will have to submit this form. A few US-based clients have asked me too to submit this form. It seems to be a statutory requirement, otherwise, the payer has to withhold 30% of the amount being paid as US taxes.

In my case (I am from India), I just left this clause blank and only filled 9 a and b and other general details.

I had of course already taken a TIN number which too has to been filled in this form. Getting the TIN number is a bigger pain and case easily take two to three months. My initial applications were rejected and I had resubmit them to the US tax department.

I eventually managed to get the TIN number on my own by using advice available on the internet, so this is a doable hassle.

Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Jul 7, 2013

Thanks for your input. I may just have to ask the client exactly what information they need. Anhelp from anyone who has done this form from the UK before would still be greatly appreciated.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My form Jul 7, 2013

The US agency I work with sent me a partially pre-filled form, with very clear instructions:

Section 1:
N°2 = my country (i.e. Spain)
N°3 = "individual" (I'm not a limited company etc)
N°4 = my home/registered address
N°7 = my Spanish NIE number - don't know what the UK use, if anything
N°8 = their company name

Then I just had to sign it as the "beneficial owner". I'm afraid I can't remember offhand who completed what, but if you're still unclear I can investigate.

Edited to say: just to make things 100% clear, everything else on the form was left blank, e.g. no US tax number.

[Edited at 2013-07-07 16:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US W8 Form for UK resident

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search