Thread poster: Srini Venkataraman

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 22:56
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2013

Got a job for 13k words , delivery in 4 days. legal- Tamil to English. Can you suggest a rush rate %
This will take about 6-7 days normally (2000wpd) including proofing.

Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 06:56
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Get help and charge for it Jul 17, 2013

For such rush jobs, it is a good idea to ask a colleague you know and trust to help you by doing research or proofing. I would suggest estimating the time needed for that colleague, and to add that to the price.

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification Jul 17, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion. My query was as to what extra can I quote for the rush ( +20,30,40% etc); 25% extra output per day+weekend work too will needed to complete.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
If weekend work is involved Jul 17, 2013

Srini Venkataraman wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. My query was as to what extra can I quote for the rush ( +20,30,40% etc); 25% extra output per day+weekend work too will needed to complete.

I would consider a rush rate of at least 50%.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:56
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ask how much they will pay Jul 17, 2013

In this kind of situation I'm often not that bothered if I don't get the job as these kind of deadlines are always stressful, so I generally ask the client how much extra they will pay.

If they are willing to pay anything extra, it's often more than I would have asked.

If they aren't willing to pay anything extra, I would normally refuse the job.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Fifty percent surcharge is more than reasonable Jul 17, 2013

Srini Venkataraman wrote:
Got a job... delivery in 4 days. This will take about 6-7 days normally.

Most translators here seem to say "50%". But if I was the client, I would have argued for no more than a 20% surcharge. Why? Because, I would say, I'm willing to pay you your normal rate during normal hours, and a 50% surcharge for overtime hours. Overtime hours?, you might ask, but as a client there would be method to my madness:

As the client I'm basically asking you to work overtime. You're not going to work faster -- instead, you're going to work more hours per day. This means that some hours that would normally have formed part of days that you would normally have used for the work must now be included in the days that I, the client, allocate for this job, i.e. those hours are overtime.

Let's assume you normally work 8 hours per day, and let's assume that there is a 50% surcharge for overtime hours.

Normally it would take 52 hours to complete the job (6.5 days x 8 hours). I, the client, want it in 4 days. Four days has 32 normal working hours in it (4 days x 8 hours). This means that in order to complete this job you will have to work 32 hours in four days, plus additional hours during those same four days. How many additional hours do you have to work on those four days? Answer: 20 hours (52 hours - 32 hours).

So, the amount of money you should get is 32 normal hours + 20 overtime hours. Twenty overtime hours equals 30 normal hours (20 x 1.5). This means that the amount of money you should get for the job is the equivalent of 62 hours (32 + 30). The job would normally take 52 hours, so this means that you should charge a surcharge of 62/52 x 100, or roughly 20%.

Even if you charge double for overtime hours, the surcharge for the entire job would work out to only about 40%.

Do you buy this logic?

Samuel

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel Jul 17, 2013

It was so succinct reply.- and I will keep this formula for any future requirement.
As the company declined rush rates but wants in 4 days ( of which already 3 or 4 hrs have passed) I have declined, expressing inability to do in 4 days at normal rates.

Amar Nath  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:26
Member (2010)
English to Hindi
+ ...

situation varies country to country Jul 18, 2013

If you are working for an agency from India, for sure they wont pay any extra amount for rush job. But you can ask for 10-20% extra payment to most of the American, European and a few of Asian agency and usually they agree.

Regards
Amar

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
50% Jul 18, 2013

50% more would sound reasonable to me.

Unless you have worked for many months with the other translator, I would recommend never to outsource work when in a rush: you could end up working more to fix a poor translation than to translate it yourself.

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ousourcing Jul 18, 2013

Amar, I never work with any Indian agencies as I am US based. I am working with UK based companies too. With rates at 0.50 to 1.00 rupee ( $ 0.016max) per word by the Indian agencies, I can never make at least $100 a day.

Tomas, Thanks for the highlighting the caution needed. Outsourcing is ruled out, having signed NDA with many of the companies. Since I work 12 hrs a day, except on Sunday, I am ok with extra load. This company is one of the regulars.

Samuel's methodology of calculating the surcharge was so logical, instead of picking a number out of blues, so I am planning to use that in future- It is win-win for both- the agency and me.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
My standard rush rate is 30%. Jul 18, 2013

Though in extreme cases (eg working all night) it can be anything up to 100%.

There has to be some flexibility, though. If I'm working for a translation company and they're doing a rush job for no extra charge as a favour to a long-standing customer, I'd consider doing the same for them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions on rush rate needed

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search