Thread poster: Natursprache

Natursprache
France
Local time: 00:17
German to French
+ ...
Jul 25, 2013

Hi,

One of my clients would like to pay with a bank check (400 euros, and I have a bank account in France). Do you think it's reasonable?

Thank you for your help.

Natur

Direct link Reply with quote

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:47
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Where is your client located? Jul 25, 2013

If he/she is also in your own country, I think it is ok to accept cheque payment. Provided the person/agency is known to you and chances of the cheque bouncing are less.

Otherwise you should avoid cheque based payments. Foreign cheques can take weeks to clear and the bank charges on them can be hefty.

Suggest Paypal, Western Union, Skrill, and other online payment options to your client.

Is there any particular reason why he/she doesn't want to use these online options?

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Is it an EU client? Jul 25, 2013

Within the EU bank transfers are the cheapest and often don't cost anything at all. Checks in a foreign currency are usually rather expensive to process, but I'm not sure what the policy is if it concerns a check in Euros within the Eurozone. German banks, for example, haven't issued checks to customers in years, i.e. they just don't exist anymore, but they do accept checks for depositing money into an account. If you don't know the client well, I'd be cautious about accepting a check. In any case, find out from your French bank what its policy and fees are - there may be cheaper alternatives.

Natursprache
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Jul 25, 2013

The client is from Spain and I am located in France and Austria. So I asked him if we could find another way and am still waiting for his reply.
Thank you very much for your help!
Natur

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In that case I would insist Jul 25, 2013

on a bank transfer. There's no honest reason he would not want to do that unless he is a) trying to cheat you or b) he is short of cash and a check would take longer and buy him some time. There could be other reasons, but I can't think of any legitimate ones. It sounds odd to me.

Cathy Flick  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:17
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Add bank charges to your invoice Aug 2, 2013

Just find out the bank fees involved and add it to the bill.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Bank/wire transfer Aug 3, 2013

Woodstock wrote:

on a bank transfer. There's no honest reason he would not want to do that unless he is a) trying to cheat you or b) he is short of cash and a check would take longer and buy him some time. There could be other reasons, but I can't think of any legitimate ones. It sounds odd to me.

I agree with Woodstock. There's no reason why your client can't initiate a bank transfer within Europe and paying you in Euros. This is the fastest and, for both parties, cheapes means of payment.

If your client insists on a check, then do add any fees involved at your end to your invoice and, if possible, set the terms in case the check bounces.

Is your client a private individual or an agency? If the first, then the request for a check might be understandable on your client's part, but this also increases the risk of not getting paid. If you have a phone number, call him to find out more about his reasons.

Better safe and double checking than ending up with a counterfeited check.

[Edited at 2013-08-03 14:42 GMT]

Natursprache
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No answer Aug 3, 2013

The "client" never answered, and I'm sure now he isn't honest. I'll be more carefull in the future ! Thank you all for your help.
Natur

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Be careful with Spanish cheques Aug 5, 2013

In Spain there are two types of cheques. One is what everyone else in Europe would call a cheque and the other is called a "pagaré" which is no better than a slip of paper that says IOU.
Within Spain, the first type needs to be signed on the back by the person authorized for that purpose within the company, and should include the company stamp on the back too.
It may be hard to differentiate between the two types, especially for someone who hasn't lived in Spain and/or knows the system, because a pagaré looks like a cheque.
It is perfectly legal for someone to issue a pagaré without having any funds in their account because they can post-date it. A "real" cheque cannot be post-dated, or it can, but the date will not be observed because a cheque is payable immediately upon being presented.

If when the date arrives for payment of a pagaré, there are no funds in the account, your bank simply charges you a fee for having processed the pagaré and doesn't credit your account with the funds, leaving you out of pocket and the person who supposedly had to pay you, no worse off.

I'm not sure what happens when either a cheque or pagaré is issued cross-border but it is hard for people to know the idiosyncracies of cheque payment in different countries when the rules are not the same across the EU.

I would therefore not accept cheques from anyone. There is nothing stopping any legit client from paying by bank transfer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving payment via bank check - feedback needed

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search