Agencies and minimum charges
Thread poster: Spencer Allman
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:00
French to English
too big too small... Aug 5, 2013

Any excuse is a good excuse to batter prices down.

Big project? I deserve a discount

Measly little project? No way am I paying a minimum charge.

New trend in the translation industry? No just a new twist on bullying.

And since when? probably since their boss thought of it, they are setting the new trend.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Hmm... Aug 5, 2013

ElinaSel wrote:

I have been wondering about this for a long time - why this particular agency is unwilling to go on and justify/explain why they charge a minimum fee, whenever a client questions it. I asked about it once, and the response was that it will 'look bad' to the client if you explain and explain about everything.

It may also look bad if you too quickly agree to lower the price you first gave them and indirectly claimed to be fair.

I have no idea why the agency thinks what it does. Other than preferring not to bicker about pennies (taint of trade and all), another intuitive explanation is a possible fear that the price would be deemed unfair if explained.

(Imagine telling an old client that you raised your prices by 50 % because you made calculations and noticed that it wasn't profitable.) Of course, if the end client is a private person with a limited budget, they may have to choose the lowest offer even if they want to choose a pricier one.

True, but there are ways to talk to individuals about that, and they hardly bring in much of an agency's revenue anyway.

And for private persons, it may be difficult to imagine why ordering from a translator directly and through an agency may lead to different prices.

Not if they have a minimum of sense. At least not after they hear an explanation that works. Not talking to them at all is an 'easy' solution that has obviously not worked out so easy so far.

So many clients know so little about the principles of business.

So many agencies do!

Some business basics should perhaps be included in school curricula?

Actually, just sitting down and thinking for a while like a reasonable person is probably what people don't do, and suffer for it.

I have gotten the feeling that in Finland people as service buyers often seem to assume that whatever the rate, it's hardly ever justifiable. They say that the price has 'air' if it has a margin!

Perhaps margins have been inflated on occasion by those quoting prices. Or perhaps business has a bad press. Margin is fair when it corresponds with the benefits given to the client and the work or resources invested by the agency. Some people won't understand even this, but for those few it doesn't pay to give everybody else a discount.

So many people simply do not understand where all the money comes from that pays for their holidays, sick leave, etc... And if you explain to such people that the price covers costs such as time spent on invoicing, they see it as unreasonable - in some people's view, the price should only cover time spent on the 'actual' work.

Well, invite the client to come to your office and fill the invoices for you for no pay.

At any rate, admin charges should normally be low in comparison to the 'actual' work when reflected in rates.

But then, if every business educated their clients, perhaps these notions would slowly go away..

Yeah, especially if the more significant players stopped driving rates into the ground to compete but came up with a different method instead.

Soluna
Soluna
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:00
English to German
Minimum Charges Aug 20, 2013

I was told by an agency that they don't charge their clients a minimum so I should consider waiving my minimum charge. How do we know that this is true, is there a way of checking what they charge their clients?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:00
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can search for their Terms of Service Aug 20, 2013

...and/or contact them pretending to be a client asking for a quote; but this is completely besides the point.
The point is that you are offering a commercial service as an independent translator, and therefore set your own Terms of Service. They can do whatever they want, if they don't share your professional values and decline your ToS in a way that you cannot accept, you don't have to work with them.
A minimum charge is not, or at least should not be, just an arbitrary amount, it
... See more
...and/or contact them pretending to be a client asking for a quote; but this is completely besides the point.
The point is that you are offering a commercial service as an independent translator, and therefore set your own Terms of Service. They can do whatever they want, if they don't share your professional values and decline your ToS in a way that you cannot accept, you don't have to work with them.
A minimum charge is not, or at least should not be, just an arbitrary amount, it has it reasons: to compensate one for the time and effort and make sure that one's hourly fee is, largely, maintained.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Order 1-2 sentences translated Aug 20, 2013

They can't impose confidentiality on a client, so the price you hear as a client (an incognito client perhaps) is not some kind of insider information you can't use for your benefit. If you actually purchase a small translation from them (obviously, you decline if they charge a minimum fee), then you aren't negotiating in bad faith (i.e. with the knowledge that you won't proceed with the order regardless of whatever terms they propose).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies and minimum charges

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »