Invoice UK to Germany
Thread poster: Gül Kaya

Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Turkish to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2013

I have received instructions from a new client in Germany about how to organise my invoice to them. One section reads:

Net amount
Tax rate and tax amount (= amount in EUR)
Gross amount
(With invoices not exceeding 100 EUR,-, it suffices to indicate the tax rate and the
gross amount)

To be quite honest I don't know how to go about this. With previous German clients I've just included my tax reference number and that seemed to suffice.

Can anyone help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Are you sure they're not talking about VAT? Aug 9, 2013

Seems clear to me that you should indicate whatever VAT on your invoice is included.

However, they should know that VAT on EU cross-border transactions is no longer applicable. In that case, if you've got a VAT number, just indicate N/A for VAT. If you haven't got one, you should state the clause according to which you are exempt from VAT.

VAT (or Mehrwertsteuer) is sometimes still called 'Umsatzsteuer' colloquially in Germany (tax on revenue), so they might be confusing the name of it.

Hope that helps.

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Should be simple Aug 9, 2013

I have issued invoices to clients in Germany over the past few years. They have included lines such as:
Note: VAT is not payable
or
MWSt/VAT ist nicht zahlbar
and that does not seem to have caused any problems. If they ask (I don't remember whether any of them asked) I say I am not registered for VAT because my turnover is below the threshold.
Oliver

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to present the data Aug 9, 2013

Like Oliver said VAT in EU transactions is not applicable, however this is only the case if the client is a company, if they are an individual VAT applies and you have to charge it, so if the client is a company speak to them and tell them there is no tax, if they are an individual then you will need to follow their instructions.

Regarding their request I think it simply means that they want you to present the data on your invoice in a certain way, which I understand would be like this for an invoice for more than 100€ and with a VAT rate of 20%:

1000 words x 0.10 = 100.00 €
2000 words x 0.08 = 160.00 €

Net amount 260.00 €
VAT (20%) 52.00 €
Gross amount 312.00 €

For an invoice of less than 100€ it would be like this:
100 words x 0.10 = 10.00 €
200 words x 0.08 = 16.00 €

Gross amount (20% VAT included) 31.20 €

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
AH yes Aug 10, 2013

had forgotten that bit, Lago.

Recipients without VAT number have to pay VAT anyway (unless they're exempt).

I think it has to do with how it should look (begs the question why, but objecting against that is more trouble than it's worth).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice UK to Germany

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search