Thread poster: Gad Kohenov

Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:29
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Aug 20, 2013

Hello everyone,

Anyone ever done such a job? Does 3.5$us per minute sound like a low price?
I hardly ever do it so I want your feedback about the price.
Thanks for sharing your ideas with me.

Gad Kohenov

Direct link Reply with quote

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:29
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Er... Aug 20, 2013

What exactly do you mean by “Hebrew>English audio transcriptions”? Transcribing an audio file in Hebrew and then translating the resulting text into English? If yes, that's called audio translation, and USD 3.5 per minute for that kind of work is no good even for a beginner translator (though it depends on the quality of sound and the pace of speech of the source audio).

[Edited at 2013-08-20 12:48 GMT]

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Max Aug 20, 2013

I mean listening to the audio text in Hebrew and than translating it into Hebrew. How much per minute will be considered as a normal price?

G.K.

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 08:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
Time Aug 20, 2013

See how much time it takes you, the payment rate that it works out to and how it compares to your normal translation work.

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 19:29
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Monolingual Aug 20, 2013

This is a monolingual job ( Hebrew audio to Hebrew text), so it is termed as transcription, no translation at all.
I do similar monolingual in TE, TA and HI, but approximately it takes 6-8 mts per audio minute. With a higher typing speed, it may be faster. Normally I prefer the job if it has translation too like TA>EN, or TE>EN etc, with a separate rate or a consolidated rate per audio minute. Alternately I work some times on listening to an audio in TA/TE/HI and translating to English directly, which is much faster work and I quote a consolidated rate per audio minute.

Edited: Some hassles in the transcription are 1. This is a job essentially for typists 2. Proofreading is manual, and that takes good amount of time, as there is no dictionary help (like for English in word doc, using EN-UK or EN-US dictionary). 3. If the client needs TTF instead of Unicode fonts, that adds to the difficulty.(some online converters are available from Unicode to ttf , but have not accepted such jobs)

[Edited at 2013-08-20 14:48 GMT]

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not monolingual! Aug 20, 2013

I listen to an Hebrew text and have to translate it into English! Sorry for the mistake!

G.K.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quote no price without hearing it all Aug 20, 2013

If you are not experienced in this kind of work, it can be very easy to set a price that is far below what you would like for the work involved and you will be sorry. For instance, audio quality can vary greatly, so there is no standard. Thus transcription time is quite variable. Once transcribed, the translation may be charged at usual rates. You also need to be advised that proper equipment is necessary for this kind of work; for instance a playback instrument controlled by a foot pedal that will kick back the audio each time so you can hear it again. To work with an ordinary machine is very tedious and time-consuming. The machine must also have facilities for enhancing sound, plenty of volume, controls for lessening static, background noise, etc.

Because you are not experienced in this kind of work you will not have the proper equipment and thus I would advise you not to take on the transcription part. As someone has already said, it is a job for a typist, someone paid much less than you. Farm the transcription out to transcribers and then you do the translation; that will be practical for you.

Surely the transcriber will want to hear the audio first; so again, quote no price for a pig in a poke.

Charlesp  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:29
English
+ ...
Sounds ok to me Aug 20, 2013

$3.50 a minute is $210 an hour, or NIS 750 an hour. Not bad at all.

I think that's a great deal.

Amel Abdullah  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Not $210 per hour Aug 20, 2013

It is not $3.50 x 60 minutes of your time. Rather, it is $3.50 per audio minute, which could take anywhere from 10 minutes to much longer to transcribe and translate.

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
diff calculation Aug 20, 2013

$3.50 per audio minute is approx. 6 to 8 mts of manual time to transcribe/translate , so hourly rate for the person doing the work is $26.25 to $35 per hour.

Edit: If the audio recording is bad or too much background noise, then it may be as much as 10 or 12 mts per audio minute that is around $18- $20 per hour.

[Edited at 2013-08-20 19:38 GMT]

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:29
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Not really Aug 20, 2013

Srini Venkataraman wrote:

$3.50 per audio minute is approx. 6 to 8 mts of manual time to transcribe/translate , so hourly rate for the person doing the work is $26.25 to $35 per hour.

Edit: If the audio recording is bad or too much background noise, then it may be as much as 10 or 12 mts per audio minute that is around $18- $20 per hour.

[Edited at 2013-08-20 19:38 GMT]

The quality of recording aside, the pace of speech can vary significantly. Imagine you deal with a recording of an annual contest of the world's fastest speakers. Will you be able to transcribe and translate a minute of such a recording in 12 minutes? Probably not.

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Talking speed Aug 20, 2013

The normal assumed speed is 5000 words/hr or say 80 words/mt. But I have heard some dialogs as if in a great hurry at 120/word, but it is like a sprint- only for few minutes, so the silent portions make it as avg. of 90 to 100 words/mt. Remember these are dialogs between 2 or 3 persons and not one man lectures, so positively there are silent portions.
The audio transcription quote is always a gamble, but after 2 or 3 jobs you learn to quote in a more probable range. Initially it will be OJT ( on the job trg) so rate is ok. Once you get the hang, get a software, pedal etc, speed can be improved.
I do this as filler job.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
Hebrew to English
Some thoughts... Aug 21, 2013

Hmmm... I've done one or two of these projects and I have to confess to hating them. They invariably take far longer than you initially plan for, even with a generally good sound quality people still mumble and talk over each other...your ear can play tricks on you...so try to take all these things into account.

I would say $3.5 per REAL LIFE minute sounds reasonable, per AUDIO minute then no.

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
dime a dozen Aug 21, 2013

There are so many English monolingual transcribers at 1 $ per audio minute, so getting $3 or $4 per audio minute for a regional language depending on where the transcriber is a good rate.
Some companies have a 2nd level of support who do the blank portions which the first transcriber could not complete and left as blank.

Amel Abdullah  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Everyone's situation is different but... Aug 21, 2013

Personally, I do not think that $3.50 per audio minute is a reasonable rate. The OP is not merely transcribing but also translating. The first time I did this type of work, I agreed to a rate of $9 per minute and realized almost immediately that I had charged too little even though I had outsourced the transcription to someone else. Note that even if you outsource the transcription (definitely a huge time-saver), you will still need to listen carefully to make sure the transcriber did not miss any words, utterances, or nuances - and you will need to listen to the tape multiple times to make sure that you understand the broader context of what is being said. If there are translators out there who are able to make this work at $3.50 per minute, more power to them, but I think $15 to $25 per minute would be more like it, depending on the quality of the audio. It may also depend on the language, but Arabic definitely has some issues that add to the difficulties due to the fact that the formal written language is very different from the many spoken dialects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hebrew>English audio transcriptions

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search