Thread poster: Sofia Marina Christina Loddo

Sofia Marina Christina Loddo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2013

Hi,
I sent my cv to a European Translation Agency which works mostly with EU texts. They have sent me a form in which they request my rates for translation, proofreading and mock-up proofreading.
Could anyone explain what this is and how much would be considered an intermediate rate?

Thanks
Sofia

Direct link Reply with quote

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I would ask them for clarification. Aug 26, 2013

It sounds like something could have been lost in translation - maybe they mean proofreading of draft documents.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Interesting question Aug 26, 2013

Phil's advice is good. Do check with them to clarify what exactly this mock-up proof-reading is.

Searching the web, this is all I could find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockup

In any case, you should charge your hourly rate. Whether you proofread a final translation or a draft translation, an hour is an hour and should be charged for accordingly.

[Edited at 2013-08-26 15:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-26 17:53 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Don't take this as gospel Aug 26, 2013

Sofia Marina Christina Loddo wrote:
mock-up proofreading.
Could anyone explain what this is and how much would be considered an intermediate rate?

I think it may be what's more often called "mock-up proofing" as it's more like the old-fashioned galley proofing. If so, it's on the final document, with DTP etc done, so it would be in the form of a PDF (editable or scanned) or even an image file, or perhaps a web page. Whatever it is, it would be the very last check and you wouldn't expect to find much, if anything, wrong. Changes at that late stage cost a considerable amount of money to incorporate. But the DTP process could have introduced errors such as badly split lines, titles centred wrongly, images separated from their captions etc.

You'd obviously have to look at everything very attentively, but not change much. Any errors would be noted in a report rather than in-situ. Anyway, I'd just charge my normal hourly rate for the job. If they insisted on a per-page rate, I'd insist on seeing the document, and I'd try a sample page before giving a firm quote.

BUT I may well have misunderstood and be talking of something totally different.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:58
English to French
+ ...
Why not ask them? Aug 26, 2013

mock-up proofreading.
Could anyone explain what this is

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Beats me Aug 27, 2013

JL01 wrote:

mock-up proofreading.
Could anyone explain what this is

I've no idea what "mock-up proofing" is either. Anyway, I'd ask them what THEIR rates are for the services cited.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:58
Member (2004)
English to Italian
as far as I know... Aug 27, 2013

when I worked in-house for a publisher - before computers were invented - we used to translate the test and then cut it and stick it on the actual book to see if it fitted around the pictures... if not, you had to edit it. I guess it might be the same (or similar) thing? Although I find it difficult to imagine that they would still use the same process these days...

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 18:58
English to Spanish
It's a synonym for "dummy" Aug 27, 2013

"Mock-up proofreading" is editing a proposed publication (as a book or magazine) called "dummy" elsewhere.

"Dummy" is a set of pages (as for a newspaper or magazine) with the position of text and artwork indicated for the printer.

In other words: editing, that's all. Can be a PDF, and InDesign, or any other piece of communication.

[Edited at 2013-08-27 17:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Mock-up proofreading

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search