Rafaqat Dogar  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:17
Member (2004)
English to Urdu
+ ...
Aug 28, 2013

Dear Colleagues

I have been working with one UK based company but always they use to make payments very late (last payment I received from them after the period of more than one year) and fee days ago they wanted me to provide certification for the project which I did for them previously but I asked them to make the outstanding payment first but they said we will make the payment but when they will receive from their client so in other words if they do not receive the payment then I
... See more
Dear Colleagues

I have been working with one UK based company but always they use to make payments very late (last payment I received from them after the period of more than one year) and fee days ago they wanted me to provide certification for the project which I did for them previously but I asked them to make the outstanding payment first but they said we will make the payment but when they will receive from their client so in other words if they do not receive the payment then I will not be paid as well. I want to let me all translators know about this company but I am not sure how can I do so. Please let me know about your suggestions in this regard as I really want to tell everybody about this company's bad behaviour towards payments.

Regards
Rafaqat Dogar
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:17
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Use the Blue Board Aug 28, 2013

Rafaqat Dogar wrote:
Please let me know about your suggestions in this regard as I really want to tell everybody about this company's bad behaviour towards payments.

The Blue Board is the place to do that, Rafaqat, not here. We aren't allowed to "name and shame" here as this is a totally public forum without any checking of facts.

They certainly sound as though they merit a "1", with a factual statement about why. And it shouldn't be changed to a "5" when they do pay, accompanies by a demand for the board to be scrubbed clean. If they did it to you yesterday, they'll be doing it to others tomorrow.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:17
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
That's the best way Aug 29, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Rafaqat Dogar wrote:
Please let me know about your suggestions in this regard as I really want to tell everybody about this company's bad behaviour towards payments.

The Blue Board is the place to do that, Rafaqat, not here. We aren't allowed to "name and shame" here as this is a totally public forum without any checking of facts.

They certainly sound as though they merit a "1", with a factual statement about why. And it shouldn't be changed to a "5" when they do pay, accompanies by a demand for the board to be scrubbed clean. If they did it to you yesterday, they'll be doing it to others tomorrow.

Dear Rafaqat,

I agree with Sheila 100%, the Blue Board is the only legal way here on ProZ.com to inform our colleagues about our experience with an agency or an end client, both in the positive as well as in the negative sense.

And if this particular agency doesn't have a Blue Board record, then you can create one.

There is also another way, but I only know of a site in German with no English equivalent at hand, where our colleagues can submit inquiries about agencies and share their experience with them. Surely there must be something similar in the English speaking world.

Changing your Blue Board entry after payment has been made or because the agency might inform you that they will only pay you when you remove the negative entry (fortunately this isn't the common practice), is a no-go.

Also, the contract exists between you and that agency, and not between you and the agency's client. Consequently, whether their client pays them or not is ...no concern of yours.

Much luck!

Meixia Jordan
Meixia Jordan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
German Website Address? Aug 29, 2013

[quote]Thayenga wrote:

There is also another way, but I only know of a site in German with no English equivalent at hand, where our colleagues can submit inquiries about agencies and share their experience with them. Surely there must be something similar in the English speaking world.
---

Agree with you guys to encourage honest evaluation for translators,agencies and companies in the Blue Board. btw, can you please provide me the German Website address you mentioned before? I start to work as a full time freelance translator and I am living in Germany. Thanks in advance.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
My pleasure Aug 29, 2013

Meixia Jordan wrote:

Agree with you guys to encourage honest evaluation for translators,agencies and companies in the Blue Board. btw, can you please provide me the German Website address you mentioned before? I start to work as a full time freelance translator and I am living in Germany. Thanks in advance.

Thank you, Meixia, for the "reminder". There was no time this morning to get the link and post it here. So here it is:

http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/zahlungspraxis/

You would have to become a member of the group, which takes about 1-2 days, but it's free and very helpful. They also provide email alerts - if desired.

Best,

Thayenga

Meixia Jordan
Meixia Jordan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
Danke! Aug 30, 2013

Thank you so much Thayenga! Have a wonderful and sunny weekend there!

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Personal blog? Sep 14, 2013

I by no mean want to sound rude, but you are a member of ProZ.com since 2004 and and you've never used the Blueboard? I am sorry, I can hardly believe it.
So I assume you know about it, and probably ask for other resources. I would recomment to put it on your blog (if you have any). When I did it couple of times on mine, it brought a lot of comments and contacts from other fellow translators, especially those who don't use ProZ.com or are not able to view the members features like BlueBoa
... See more
I by no mean want to sound rude, but you are a member of ProZ.com since 2004 and and you've never used the Blueboard? I am sorry, I can hardly believe it.
So I assume you know about it, and probably ask for other resources. I would recomment to put it on your blog (if you have any). When I did it couple of times on mine, it brought a lot of comments and contacts from other fellow translators, especially those who don't use ProZ.com or are not able to view the members features like BlueBoard.
I wish the best to you with that agency.
Regards,
Maria
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to inform Translators about bad company

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »