Has anybody ever worked for web-based agencies?
Thread poster: pennylane33
Sep 15, 2013

Hi everyone!

Has anyone ever worked with web-base agencies before?
I mean the whole thing kinda relies on a website...ALL you need to do is just claim a piece of work
and upload when you finish with it...

It's my first time to work with agencies of that sort...(offshore)
Currently email is the only channel that it used to get in touch with its vendors. (In my case)
Has anybody ever worked with such an agency?
I was just wondering...how do they handle the taxation part? Do they even pay in time?

Thx.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:30
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
As always, there are good and bad Sep 15, 2013

pennylane33 wrote:
ALL you need to do is just claim a piece of work

That's quite a common way of working. It's the way the really cheap ones work but also some of the better ones. I don't really understand what you mean about taxation, but as for payment, well, it depends on the client as always. I've had payment problems in the past with a couple, but I work with one at the moment who sometimes pays within the hour.

pennylane33
TOPIC STARTER
About tax issue Sep 15, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:

pennylane33 wrote:

That's quite a common way of working. It's the way the really cheap ones work but also some of the better ones. I don't really understand what you mean about taxation, but as for payment, well, it depends on the client as always. I've had payment problems in the past with a couple, but I work with one at the moment who sometimes pays within the hour.

I expect there will be a coordinator of a sort...LOL
After all there involves some communications.

In my country, some agencies will have to cut off 20% of the payment for taxation...
In some cases they won't let you know until the last minute...):

Some will ask for an invoice(for tax use) issued by the local government before they put the
amount of money in your account. In fact you will be required to mail the invoice to their local office.

Not sure if those web-based ones go for after tax payment. Any idea about that?

Mark Benson  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
The agency's tax obligations are not your problem; you take care of your own tax, yourself. Sep 15, 2013

pennylane33 wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

pennylane33 wrote:

I expect there will be a coordinator of a sort...LOL
After all there involves some communications.

In my country, some agencies will have to cut off 20% of the payment for taxation...
In some cases they won't let you know until the last minute...):

Some will ask for an invoice(for tax use) issued by the local government before they put the
amount of money in your account. In fact you will be required to mail the invoice to their local office.

Not sure if those web-based ones go for after tax payment. Any idea about that?

What taxes you have to pay is usually based on where you live. You don't have to worry about the agency's taxes, those aren't your problem. You just have to make sure you pay the taxes you have to according to the laws that apply to you.

The "coordinator of a sort" is usually referred to as a PM, Project Manager. So they do exist.

One thing you should really be aware of is the reputation of the agency. Check here on ProZ on the "Blue Board" (http://www.proz.com/blueboard/) and also check any other resource you possibly can in order to assure that the agency you're about to work for is serious and that you will be paid for your work.

pennylane33
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 15, 2013

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I shall go check the blue board then.

Don't want to try my luck on these issues.

Thx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anybody ever worked for web-based agencies?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search